News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue 500 Painted Aqua Blue On eBay

Started by magicbrain, August 12, 2021, 12:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

This phone has been on eBay for a while now - Mediterranean Blue 500 painted aqua blue (at least the housing is) if anyone is interested - Bit steep although there is a best offer option - Not for me I already have two like this.

eBay link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313609048722?

< edit 08-12-21: additional auction images added >
Bruce

HowardPgh

The blue plastic must have been a bad color. I have never found a Med. Blue 500, but all the other blue phones I had encountered were usually faded or turned some kind of greenish hue.  I have one light blue 2500 and the handset caps changed color to greenish hue, rest of the phone looks good.
Howard

poplar1

Quote from: HowardPgh on August 12, 2021, 02:37:50 PM
The blue plastic must have been a bad color.

The Mediterranean Blue (color code -57) was MD (manufacture discontinued) in 1957, along with [Dark] Beige (-55), Oxford Gray (-52) and Mahogany Brown (dash 54). This set was converted from Med. Blue to aqua blue (-62) in 8-58, which would have been the right time period for no longer stocking Mediterranean blue.

WR (War Restriction) BSPs mention that color phones were no longer manufactured after early 1942. (Resumed in 1949.) However, there were many left in stock, which were available to be ordered. So at that time they didn't try to paint them black or another color!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

allnumbedup

We will soon know the details on this particular phone's components. I bought it. The seller came down to $60, then sent me an offer for $48.  I asked if he could send inside pix and he replied that it was too much trouble for a $40 sale. I messaged him an offer for $28 (plus$12 shipping) and he accepted. I sent my typical request for good packing but think there is a good chance he won't. We will see. My hope is that it has a -57 dial mechanism for my own Mediterranean blue phone which has a -03 replacement dial.  I also recently picked up a soft plastic aqua that is the same year as this one and in need of a total restoration. I suspect the handset is aqua and not sure I want to tackle stripping the body.... stay posted for pictures

Analog Phones for a Digital World

Doug Rose

I found a pink soft plastic years ago painted red. Brake fluid did a great job removing the paint with no damage to the soft plastic, just needed to shine it up...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I bought a green 500 w/ gray cords for a nice price on eBay.
When I received it, I found it was a med blue polane-painted green and with a green dial.
I eventually gave it to another collector.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.