News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green North Wall telephone N 561?

Started by Daniel B., November 30, 2021, 11:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

I like it better with the Kellogg handset, as it is the right color.

Mike

Payphone installer

500 bucks if you decide you want to sell it. Jim or trade.

allnumbedup

Krylon Dual Superbond Camp Green is a very good match for WE Moss Green and is made for plastic.  If you rattle-canned a black North Handset piece with it and kept  the kellogg caps with your North phone, you could keep the Kellogg handset piece for posterity, and your near perfect North phone would display well and the paint likely hold up fairly okay if it is not on the caps.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Daniel B.

Thank you so much for your painting advice. If I could find this Krylon green paint, I will try to paint one of my spare black North handset for sure...I think this phone could look great with a green North handset. If I install a North handset on this phone, I will keep the Kellogg handset who come with this phone not too fare....This Kellogg handset is a part of the history of this phone so they need to stay with the phone.

Daniel B.

SUnset2

I just joined the North wall phone club.

Today I received this North Electric wall phone.  It's my first color North of this period.  The phone was missing its ringer, so the seller offered to include what was believed to be a North ringer that was being sold as spare parts.  The color looks different in some of the photos because of different lighting.  The color is pretty much identical to Western Electric Moss Green.  Since the color was a match, I stole a handset cord off of a WE 500 to replace the one that was falling apart. 

I gave the phone a good cleaning and polishing.  When working on these North phones, do not be tempted to remove the screw in the center of the dial, unless you want a "Spring Surprise".  The ringer mounted fine after finding a substitute for the missing grommet.  However, the cover would not fit on over the ringer gongs.  I removed the right gong to fit the cover on.  So maybe it wasn't the right ringer.

The material of the cover appears to be a soft thermoplastic, but the handset is of a Bakelite-like material, which is somewhat unusual in green.

The network and transmitter united have 1955 date stamps.  I like the sleek lines of these, especially the recessed color-matching dial.

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

SUnset2

Quote from: paul-f on January 27, 2024, 10:53:05 AMThere's some good info in this handbook...
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=north+handbook+541
Thanks for pointing that out.  I already found it and downloaded it.  But did I read it?  If I had read paragraph 48 b, I would have been more careful about removing the center screw in the dial, and not had to deal with rewinding the mainspring.

LarryInMichigan

That was quite a find.  I would expect a phone like that to sell for $500 or more. Those are very rare.

Larry