News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Standard Electric telephone Federal telephone and radio co. 1940's

Started by Doug Rose, February 11, 2022, 07:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this Standard Electric up with a Federal Handset. Phone resembles a Federal (last pic) but it is clearly different.

Any idea the Correct Standard handset or was Standard made by Federal. I do not have the phone yet.

Just what I need....another manual black phone  ;D .....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275161942625
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I was contemplating buying that phone.  I was curious to see what was inside.  AFAIK, both Standard Electric and Federal (FTR) were eventually parts of ITT.  That handset may have been correct.

Larru

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 11, 2022, 04:24:43 PM
I was contemplating buying that phone.  I was curious to see what was inside.  AFAIK, both Standard Electric and Federal (FTR) were eventually parts of ITT.  That handset may have been correct.

Larru
thanks Larry, that is what I was guessing as well. It is a really cool design and he did ship in a med priority flat so it was a really inexpensive look/see. I am always excited when I find something that is different. I should have it Monday and I will post pics....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

May this help?  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1466.msg21510#msg21510

Typical European (Antwerp ++)  wiring, mainly like the WE 302, but tha capacitor is shared for the ringer/voice circuit, and the ringer has pretty much higher REN load.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Interesting phone, what type of system would this have been used on?

dsk

As I remember them, mainly used in PABX systems. This book makes it believable that they were used by in the POTS network too.

Doug Rose

I received the phone today wrapped in a paper shopping bag inside a Medium Priority Box!!! Explicit instructions how to pack were ignored.  >:(

BUT it survived! Better News is I Was Never Used  ;D It is fully functional. It has the Great Bakelite Sheen that cannot be recreated, I just wiped it down.

Only downer is the line cord, although never used is Brown.

The Mystery is solved as even though it has a Standard Electric decal, bottom of Bakelite base is clearly Marked Federal Telephone and Radio.

Last pic is a side by side of the MFP that I got last week that is the "standard"  ??? Federal design.

I was very lucky to get this beauty!!

I just love this phone!. Paul F do you have any insight on the design change? ...Doug
Kidphone

dsk

Congratulations! Great phone, and it survived the shipping!  Could you please post a godd picture of the label and chematics inside? 
Absolutely different from what I posted.
dsk

Doug Rose

thanks Dag....here you go...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 14, 2022, 11:14:21 AM
Paul F do you have any insight on the design change? ...Doug

Sorry Doug. I only have more gas to throw on the fire.

I am reminded of a similar Standard Electric set I have that has a handset marked International Telephone & Radio Manufacturing Corporation -- another IT&T company. It has some interesting features including a keyed receiver capsule and special purpose dial number plate. I wonder how many other variations and combinations are out there.

More photos and wiring diagram posted here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25906.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

:)
Quote from: paul-f on February 14, 2022, 06:32:40 PM

Sorry Doug. I only have more gas to throw on the fire.

I am reminded of a similar Standard Electric set I have that has a handset marked International Telephone & Radio Manufacturing Corporation -- another IT&T company. It has some interesting features including a keyed receiver capsule and special purpose dial number plate. I wonder how many other variations and combinations are out there.

More photos and wiring diagram posted here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25906.0
Hey Paul. Kind of strange to have such a drastic shell change.

I wonder if it ever made it to production. I have seen many Federals, but never one with this design. Very cool lines.

I am very fortunate to own it....thanks my friend...Doug
Kidphone