News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sound and VISION!

Started by gpo706, June 02, 2010, 05:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

gpo706

Yes, could be Jewish I suppose, I'm not prejudiced!

I hope its not Gooey though...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Stewie came today, the cam isn't bad but its not ideal lighting situation here on the executive desk, well at least I can see myself at 8fps.

Now I wonder who I could trust to borrow it for a POTS video experiment, rather than through my PBX...

McHeath

So you are getting some function out of it eh?  I worked at a place where they had a video phone setup in the early 90's, it was whatever AT&T had cooked up at that time so it was not the uber cool looking 60's unit.  No one ever used it, not that I saw, that is no one used the video function.  Instead it was just used as a normal phone.  Bet it ended up in the trash eventually.  Would have been fun to have. 

gpo706

McHeath: maybe nobody used the video function as there wasn't another to call?

Or they had two duffers like me...

Any other info on the AT&T equivalents?

gpo706

gpo706

I got a third working set, hopefully as its straight out of the box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140537632807&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on June 03, 2010, 05:32:44 AM
McHeath, points well made, you watch any sci-fi show and they all have video comms, but its just a gimmick, its about as redundant as smello-vision.

Video comms are a  televisually very handy metaphor for showing the distant person, without having to use a 'split screen' effect

I think videophones were popular with sign language speakers at one time - possibly until they found the image quality qasn't really good enough for signing.

gpo706

I bought this the 30th April, the seller raised a case by the time I got back from backshift tonight and paid 'em, fast complainer eh?

Hope the bloody thing works..

Wallphone

Scot, I think that those "Pay Now you Bum" are auto generated after so many days. I bought something one time and asked the seller if we could hold off closing the deal because I was looking at something else that he was selling and he agreed to that. Before the auction I was looking at was over, I received a payment reminder on the first item. On the other hand I'm sure that the seller can generate them too.
You and I talked before about the BT Videophones. Here I was worried about if my video camera would work. Heck, I can't even get a dial tone. Typical of a lot of the crap, er I mean heirlooms that I have WON on eBay. Awhile back Scot was nice enough to scan the Owners Manual for the BT Videophone and I converted it to PDF format and gave it to Remco. It is now in the TCI Library.
Doug Pav

gpo706

Yes, probably auto-generated, but rather stressful, if only the seller could generate a "your item has been posted " reply!

gpo706

It's all good, original box (if battered about) the original foam packing did the job.

The cam took a few attempts to "warm up' and I was terrified it was a dud!

So have 3 working ones now and two duds, as I said before these work through a Pana 616 so the best two will be linked to separate rooms in the house.