News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

mystery WESTERN ELECTRIC 634BA

Started by dpaynter1066, February 22, 2012, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpaynter1066

Whenever I get a reply to an inquiry like this, I'm torn between believing the guy is just plain stupid or else he is running some sort of scam.

WESTERN ELECTRIC 634BA  http://tinyurl.com/82ybzmu

Dear eugenio250,

The outside photos are all very nice, can we see the apparatus inside please?

sorry i will not open ,this is as is
- eugenio250

I wont bid on it,  too  many 634's on ebay to be buying pigs in a poke.
But that's just me.  I'ts likely just fine or at least could be made fine with the right bell and coil and capacitor and terminal board and wires.

LarryInMichigan

It could be that the seller simply doesn't realize that the the cover hinges open after loosening the one screw on the front.  I know many people who are terrified of anything which involves the use of a screwdriver.  I have had friends call me to come to their houses to turn a screw for them.  This guy could be a member of the club.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Looks like a later modification with the 302 type ringer inside.  I'd wait for a better one, with the original ringer with the large gongs.

I've had sellers tell me they won't "open up" a phone too.  I just move on to the next one.

LarryInMichigan

One of my 634 subsets has that style ringer in it.  I assumed that it was a standard phone co refurbishment.

Larry

dpaynter1066

Ah yes,  your common case of Ergalilektriphobia.

I gained a fear of Screwdrivers one time after a week in Myrtle Beach with these two girls who could rollerskate so I moved on to Gin

bingster

If you're worried that it's incomplete, the last photo shows (barely) that all the needed components are there.  The big black single condenser indicates that the subset was most likely a sidetone 5XX subset at one point, and was later refurbed into an anti-sidetone 634BA.

If it doesn't go much higher, it's still a proper, working, all-Western subset.
= DARRIN =

dpaynter1066

I was tempted to bid on it anyway, but just didnt like the Sellers attitude. 

I'll wait for another one to come along tomorrow.  It's not like they are hard to come by.

DavePEI

Quote from: dpaynter1066 on February 22, 2012, 04:16:14 PM
I was tempted to bid on it anyway, but just didnt like the Sellers attitude. 

I'll wait for another one to come along tomorrow.  It's not like they are hard to come by.
It could also be that your seller does what many sellers do, pack up the item awaiting the sale to cut down the time it takes to ship out at the end of the auction. As a result, he would have had to open the package to open it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001