and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Am I Missing Something?

Started by Nick in Manitou, November 30, 2012, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Sold 11-29-12 for $301
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190757886651

I am really pretty new to this, but is this 302 different from the one I purchased a while back for under $20? 

Sure mine has not gotten cleaned and polished up yet, but surely there is something about this 302 that is special?

As I said, I am new to this so please fill me in!

Thanks,
Nick

Phonesrfun

You're not missing a thing, except the opportunity to spend a fortune on a phone of much smaller value.  The key ingredient was a good sales job and willing bidders.  Nothing else.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

And of course there are buyers who have no interest or ability to restore a phone but they recognise an old phone that they had when they were young and want to buy one that looks like new and is guaranteed to work and be "Plug and Play".

There are many on this forum that do restorations such as this and while $20 to $300 is a big difference in price, the seller likely put many many hours into it for a meager return when you look at it that way.

Someone who wants a ready to go Antique phone for the Livingroom and us collectors, hobbyists, tinkerers are two different things.

Terry  

Phonesrfun

And I agree with Terry.  A person who has put hours into cleaning and restoring a phone does deserve a return on his or her work.  Nothing wrong with that.  Many of us here, however, would like to restore our own and have that satisfaction.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

There are likely 1967 Ford Mustangs out there for sale at $1000 and others at $100,000. Same difference.

Terry

Phonesrfun

I wish I still had my 64-1/2 that I bought from my dad in 1970, which he bought brand new in 1964.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

I'll bet you do! I like the 1965 & 66 Fastbacks, the ones that still had a little short trunk. I see one driving around Pt Roberts occasionally.

Terry

George Knighton

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on November 30, 2012, 12:14:46 AM
Sold 11-29-12 for $301
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190757886651

I am really pretty new to this, but is this 302 different from the one I purchased a while back for under $20? 

What's different is that somebody wanted something that he could absolutely trust, that's all.

I've bought from that seller before, and it's somebody on whom you can rely.  If you just want to be sure of what you're buying, that's somebody to buy from.  :-)

I have something on the way from the "OldPhoneWorks" guy, too.  I wanted something in an office that I was absolutely sure was going to work, and I'm still new at this and wanted a Rotatone device installed, too.  I'm sure it'll just be a matter of months before I'm doing that kind of work myself, but in the mean time I did not mind paying $310.00 to the "OldPhoneWorks" guy to get exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it.

I've already opened up a few 302 that I've bought cheaply and even got one of them working decently.

I know it won't be long before I'm doing *all* of the work myself, but in the mean time these solidly reliable people have something to offer me and I'm not embarrassed to avail myself of their experience!

:-)
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 30, 2012, 12:37:23 AM
You're not missing a thing, except the opportunity to spend a fortune on a phone of much smaller value.  The key ingredient was a good sales job and willing bidders.  Nothing else.
The seller's reputation was a part of the sales job.

Just saying that in defence of those of us who have paid more than we had to pay.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

Doug Rose

$300 for a 302 should be Metal with perfect paint, dated early 37 with small plungers, short ears 4H dial, an e1 handset, with riveted feet and the hookswitch grille.

This phone isn't really in that good of condition, Dial plate shows wear, F1 look like it has orange peel and the handset cord is not a Western. Bad repro dial card. I sell 302s every week on eBay and this is at most a $75 phone, only because it is guaranteed working.

Buyer beware. Set limits on what you want to spend on an item and do not get caught up in a buying battle with another eBayer. 302s are very common. This is the second 302 I have seen this week that went over $300, the other was $306.

I love 302s and they are probably my favorite  phone, but this was really a ridiculous overspend. Seller had an opening bid or $49.99 which was realistic for a working 302 in less than stellar condition, in my humble opinion...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

This is a phone I have on eBay this week, all dates match for a BIN for $125. All original with original  cloth cords. In my jaded opinion, mine is head and tails over what sold for $300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290816398262
Kidphone

George Knighton

Wow.  If I'd seen that three days ago, I'd have bought it, for sure.  :-)

As it is, I'm learning some lessons the hard way...but I'm sure I'll survive!
Annoying new poster.

Doug Rose

Here is a New Old Stock 302 for $289 that I will bet will not sell at this price.

http://tinyurl.com/cvpmga9
Kidphone

George Knighton

To me, it's still tempting even though I've got one 302 on the desk here...and four on the shelves behind me....
Annoying new poster.

Doug Rose

Then you need a perfect metal manual set from 1940

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300819252420
Kidphone