News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 82: Charles Williams Coffin Phone

Started by Sargeguy, January 23, 2013, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

An old dinosaur from the early days of the telephone.

Watching these super early phones is always fun.  I have absolutely no clue. I'll try
$8500.

S C O R E B O A R D
$2,700.00 - wds
$8,500.00 - Sargeguy
$8,800.00 - K1WI
$9,435.00 - AE_Collector WINNER - Final Selling Price was $9,468.00
$11,700.00 - twocvbloke
$12,000.00 - Russ Kirk
$13,370.00 - Jim S.
$13,750.00 - TelePlay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261159827845

This is a very nice Early 1878 Charles Williams Jr Coffin Telephone. It is the early "patent applied for" version with the slide manual switch. It is in very nice original condition. All of the parts on this are original. It still retains its original finish on the case and on all of the plated metal pieces. It is missing the crank and the receiver. The nut used to hold on one of the bells is stripped and does not tighten. The metal tag on the front states BELL TELEPHONE CO. MFR'S 109 COURT ST. BOSTON. Impressed in the top of the front is "PAT APPL'D FOR" and the serial number 3222. I believe the pictures show the condition well. Satisfaction guaranteed Thank you, Arty
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Dave

TelePlay

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

wds

Wow - 6 days to go and I'm already out of the running.  Can I change my bid?  ( I entered the wrong amount? ) (or, it's a typo error?)
Dave

K1WI

I actually had a Williams just like this one , could even be this one , sold it a long long time ago. So I'll go with ten times what I got , to cover inflation .I guess it is rare and different but I at the time didn't think it was that nice looking. Still have a pair of later Williams candlesticks and they are nice almost a honey colored brass..
    So I'll go with  $880 X 10  =    $8800

Andy F    K1WI

PS:L There is a small monument where 109 Court St. used to be , near Gov't center.
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

As we say in Rhode Island "" Where 109 Court St ..... USED TO BE""
Andy F    K1WI

Russ Kirk

Quote from: K1WI on January 24, 2013, 06:05:45 PM
      As we say in Rhode Island "" Where 109 Court St ..... USED TO BE""

I did look on Google Maps for that address,  it did not come up.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

K1WI

Its now an open space across from 1 Center Plaza, Boston,   (The JFK Building)
Andy F    K1WI

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on January 24, 2013, 11:43:21 AM
Wow - 6 days to go and I'm already out of the running.  Can I change my bid?  ( I entered the wrong amount? ) (or, it's a typo error?)

Doesn't seem to be a "rule" against that! :) Used occasionally early on in an auction in cases such as this I don't see whay you can't make a change.

Sarge: Are you doing the "Bids Record" in the first post on this one?

Terry

Sargeguy

I want to change my bid to one zillion dollars
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

$6125 and 16 bids and 5 1/2 days to go still.

How many zero's in "One Zillion doillars"?

Learned one thing from this auction. ebaY Bucks earned appears to "Max Out" at $100 once bids hit $5,000.

My Bid = $9435.00

Terry

K1WI

Can I raise my bid?
Andy F    K1WI

Babybearjs

put it back in the museum and leave it alone!
John

Jim Stettler

$13,370.00
I think it may be a family heirloom. When I get one I will eventually do the final research.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.