and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Big black rubber "Buttinski" (GPO 280)

Started by gpo706, November 13, 2009, 03:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Sounds kinky eh?

Doesnt even need batteries!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350233386935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT  ( dead link 11/10/17 )

scroll down for photobucket pics (non uploadable).

It's a 280, dated 65/1

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t280.htm

Connected to my very handy 704B and seems fine recieves, pulses on the dial.

S.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

It's very curvaceous, isn't it?  I like it! 
= DARRIN =

Stephen Furley

Some of these were still in use in the early '80s.  Very heavy compared to a modern one.

gpo706

Yeah Stephen, maybe some of the older boys didn't like them new fangled plastic things.

I spent 8 hours rewiring it to a nice new black round cord PST for use but thats a further chapter in my autobigraphy "Stuff you don't want to do with phones"

BTW the cord supplied is a fine condition circular braid, but was truncated to about 24" with 2 croc clips, worked not bad but some crackle, the original spec was a 48" cord, which makes better sense for workable use, so I had the bright idea of investigating and replacing the old cord, suffice to say at the end my hands were black with a film of rubber.

migette

Yes remember those butts fine the red button sometimes needed to be cleaned but apart from that they were indestructable, often appear on ebay, the funny flat plugs seen on some were used in exchanges when plugged into 2 motion selectors or subs line ccts. for testing etc. They were superceded by modern blue plastic ones with smaller contempra type dials.

gpo706

The button cleaned up fine, you slacken a hex collar off and out it all pops, touch of wd40 stopped it stickiing, although still makes a terrible crackle/cluck when you operate it but connects fine.

Slight tearing at the receiver end where the aluminium tubing in the handle ends, but its not right through, just surface, I reckon its caused by manipulating the rubber seals to open it, or perhaps just chaffing with the tube protrusion end, its a nice bit of kit.

Just bought a 2nd one with a plain black dial.

gpo706

3rd one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220522451610&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT  ( dead link 11/10/17 )

I felt sorry for it.

2nd re-list, and no bids, poor wee thing, well I thought I'd give it a nice new home for Christmas.

(and the cheapest one I bought so far)!

gpo706

Well I finally found one with a decent alpha-numeric fingerplate.

The same seller had another "blackened" plate for the same BIN.

If it works, fine, otherwise will take the fingerplate off for a transplant to one(s) that do.

Strange that the second set has a curly cord on it, never seen that before.

- arrived today, dial runs nice, has batch sample sticker on the top "FWR 73/2" so will be shocking if it doesn't work OK!