News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another early 500 -1951 unmolested

Started by cchaven, June 03, 2013, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

Last week i saw an auction pop up for a 1951 WE 500.  Other than the metal fingerwheel, straight cord and slightly different view on the bottom, nothing could be gotten from the pictures posted.  No internal shots.  I've been wanting an early 500, so I took a chance...a $39 buy-it-now.  I got it today and I'm thrilled...I was hoping that it would be largely untouched...and what I got was a 500 with all internal dates of 6/51, and the handset, caps, and capsules dated 5/51.  It has a 425A network, C2A ringer and 7A dial, all dated 6/51.  I can't read any stampings on the crimp ends of the cords.

The only issues with the phone are that 1) the clapper assembly is missing from the ringer.  This I find a bit odd considering how untouched the rest of the phone is, and 2) whoever took it out of service cut the line cord, and not too cleanly.  It's not quite 5 feet long.  The 6/51 date is clear on the base near the ringer adjustment, but it looks like whatever model was there was painted over with a small dab of paint that only covers that.

It needs quite a bit of cleaning, but otherwise I'm thrilled with it.

Jeff

Tom B

Great find at a great price. I love it when one of these comes up when they are untouched. I have a 4/51 which came with a curly cord which I swapped for a straight cord, otherwise all 1951
Tom

HarrySmith

Nice ;D
I constantly check eBay for those! Don't know how I missed that one!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE40FAN

I saw that phone.  Congrats cchaven!

cchaven

I saw the phone just after it got listed...but didnt grab it immediately.  I really closely examined what pictures were posted and saw that there were 8 or 9 watchers and decided I'd give it a go.  It looks like it's probably a 500T or 500K since it doesn't have the equalizer, but the terminal block.  It'll take quite a bit of cleaming...and did I ever get  hit in the face by the tenite 'cheese' smell when I first opened it up.  Also looks like someone scaped a sticker off the right side just in front of the handset cord.  But I think it'll clean up nicely.  Before this my oldest 500 was a '54..and it didn't have ALL the matching dates like this one does.

I'm very happy with it...

Jeff