News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: When called, is our line f...
Last post by ChrisW6ATV - April 12, 2024, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: 5415551212 on April 08, 2024, 10:30:59 PMDid the phone line pass thru the device?
I could imagine a s simple device that could shunt the first ring pulse and make a 'click', then let the rest of the ring pulses thru.
In my case, the device I had that I seem to remember having this "pre-ring" ability simply plugged into a phone jack and did not do any pass-through function.

It was, if I remember right, something like a one-or two-transistor amplifier with a capacitor to pick up the ring signal. The amplifier circuit (with its own separate power supply) fed or controlled a common doorbell/buzzer, which at 20 Hz makes an obnoxious sound. This was in my bedroom of my first "non-parents"  apartment in Chicago in 1980-82. We had a regular Illinois Bell wall phone in our kitchen that rang normally. Other phones that we added all had their ringers disconnected.
Wanted / Wanted - Broken AE50 Wall Phon...
Last post by SUnset2 - April 12, 2024, 05:41:03 PM
I'm looking for a damaged Automatic Electric 50 wall phone that I can cannibalize for internal parts.  Front case can be broken or missing, I don't need the handset, dial or switchhook.

I have a phone that was lamped, and they removed all of the innards.  I need the wiring harness, induction coil, capacitor (condenser), switchhook (if attached to the wiring harness), ringer (if available)

(Photo is for reference of what this model looks like)

Thanks,
Paul
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Stromberg Carlson wont dial
Last post by bcarolla - April 12, 2024, 05:19:20 PM
Have several of the pictured phones on the ship that all wont dial. When the dial is turned the cam allows the NO switch to close so the dialtone goes away. When the dial returns to home the dialtone is back. Each of these phones has the green wire from the dial wiring block not connected. They actually have been covered intentionally. Does the green wire need to be connected somewhere I assume so. Can I use a DVM across the wires on the dialer wire block to determine if the rest of the dialer mechanics are working properly?
Technical "Stuff" / Re: U1 vs. U3 Receiver Capsule...
Last post by paul-f - April 11, 2024, 11:33:31 PM
For reference the chart below is from BSP 501-220-100, issue 6.

There are lists of receiver types at several points of time in multiple issues of the BSP in the TCI Library:
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=501-220-100

(The second column is "Replaced by")
Last post by gands-antiques - April 11, 2024, 10:05:28 PM
Thanks a lot. I've got a U1 with a varistor.  If that's the only difference, mine must be  equivalent to a U3 but just didn't get reidentified.

Thanks again..
Gary
Last post by MaximRecoil - April 11, 2024, 08:15:16 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the only difference is the type of varistor. The U1 had a varistor in a metal package, like in the first attached picture. The U3 had a varistor in a small plastic package, like in the second attached picture.

The reason I think the varistor is the only difference is because a lot of U1 receivers got the newer plastic varistors installed and were relabeled "U3" at refurbishment centers, and I doubt very much that they changed anything on them at the refurbishment centers other than the varistor.
Technical "Stuff" / U1 vs. U3 Receiver Capsules
Last post by gands-antiques - April 11, 2024, 06:37:54 PM
I'm trying to find out what the difference is between a U1 and a U3 receiver capsule.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
General Discussion / Re: Can regular 4-conductor te...
Last post by RDPipes - April 11, 2024, 06:00:55 PM
Can regular 4-conductor telephone wire run through the attic?

Only if it has the proper foot wear.
Last post by dsk - April 11, 2024, 01:56:07 PM
In hence of the telephone signal, you only need 2 wires. Twisted pairs are better than not twisted. I do often use the 2 center wires, and often the brown/white pair on a computer network. They do not disturb each other.
Last post by SUnset2 - April 11, 2024, 01:39:50 PM
Robert -

You can use old telephone wire, or Cat 3 or Cat 5, whatever you have.  In a house attic it does not need to be plenum rated.  When I rewired my house, I used Cat 5 for the telephone jacks because it was actually cheaper than Cat 3 at the time.

If the hole for the plumbing vent is oversized, you should be able to fish your telephone cable next to it.  When you are done, be sure to tightly fill the gaps with mineral wool or orange spray foam as a firestop.