News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this part called? -> AE40 Lift

Started by EdTel, November 15, 2015, 11:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdTel

Hi, I own a couple of AE40's.  One was given to me by my Dad a few years ago that I still use daily, very awesome phone. The second I bought just a couple of weeks ago.  It is an excellent phone, but it is missing the lift piece that goes under the receiver.  I'd like to find a replacement part but part of my problem is, I don't even know what this part is called, which makes doing a search a bit difficult.  A handle?  A lift?   If anyone could shed a little light, I would be very thankful.  Thanks!

Jack Ryan

It's probably called a "Lift Handle" but I have only ever seen the Butler type listed in catalogues.

It is unusual to be missing - it might be that it should be the Butler type and the swinging section is missing. Are there two pieces (maybe chrome) attached to the cradle with holes where a handle might have been - think of a bucket handle?

There are replacements on eBay but only for coloured phones.

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Here is the replacement Butler handle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221893539831

Regards
Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

The AE40s were ranked a bit like cars, with different luxury options. The most basic version of the AE40 without any luxury options would have had a black painted fingerwheel, straight handset cord (no "Extensicord"), no handset bands, and no lift like yours. I actually have one that desperately needs repair without any options, just cut-and-dry utility-based.

I think the most luxurious version would have had a Butler's Handle in place of the lift, an Extensicord, and 24 karat gold plated trim (includes fingerwheel, either Butler's Handle or lift, and handset bands).

So the part you're looking for may not have even been installed in your phone in the first place. There should be two metal filler pieces in both cradles that replace the lift on your set. They would probably be painted black, so seeing them is trickier than that other chrome lift in the picture.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 16, 2015, 08:18:01 AM
The AE40s were ranked a bit like cars, with different luxury options. The most basic version of the AE40 without any luxury options would have had a black painted fingerwheel, straight handset cord (no "Extensicord"), no handset bands, and no lift like yours. I actually have one that desperately needs repair without any options, just cut-and-dry utility-based.

Interesting. I have never seen an AE 40 without a Lift Handle or the holes where the Butler version of the Lift Handle might have been. Neither have I seen a Type 41 handset without bands - sometimes the bands were black - but they were always there.

The catalogues aren't really clear but the Butler mounts that are painted black may not have been supplied with a handle for the basic model. There are finger holds on the sides of the case near the cradle to aid with lifting.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 16, 2015, 09:20:31 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 16, 2015, 08:18:01 AM

Interesting. I have never seen an AE 40 without a Lift Handle or the holes where the Butler version of the Lift Handle might have been. Neither have I seen a Type 41 handset without bands - sometimes the bands were black - but they were always there.

The catalogues aren't really clear but the Butler mounts that are painted black may not have been supplied with a handle for the basic model. There are finger holds on the sides of the case near the cradle to aid with lifting.

Jack

IIRC this one did have holes for the Butler Handle, I believe they all did.

I plan on restoring this one to factory specifications. It has a missing dial, rubber base ring, and has two giant cracks with missing pieces, but the condition otherwise isn't that bad.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jack Ryan

I looked a bit further. It seems that the early models all had provision for the "Butler" type Lift Handle but the handle itself was optional. Later models dropped the Butler handle and provided the fixed Lift Handle in black for the basic models and chrome for the up-market models.

All had the molded lift aids on the side of the case.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 16, 2015, 09:56:18 AM
I looked a bit further. It seems that the early models all had provision for the "Butler" type Lift Handle but the handle itself was optional. Later models dropped the Butler handle and provided the fixed Lift Handle in black for the basic models and chrome for the up-market models.

All had the molded lift aids on the side of the case.

Jack
Catching up on this thread, your last post is the one I can agree with most.

The patent record shows various attempts of introducing carrying features into the AE 34 and 40 line, starting with the finger hold space, a la the WECo 302, in the 34A3A, that we discussed here recently.  The molded grip area on the side of the cradle posts, which simply provides better grip traction was the first kind introduced in the AE 40. IIRC, there are three varieties of cradle features.  The simplest one simply has a metal saddle on each post without any handle.  The metal saddles may have a hole on the inside for insertion of the 'butler handle' that normally rests flat onto the housing toward the back, and swings up into the carrying position when used. It is kind of sculpted (bent) around the handset handle, as pictured in this thread, so it doesn't impact on it when used.  Another kind of carrying feature uses a metal bridge between the cradle posts, the saddles essentially form one bridge across the entire cradle, this was pictured in the very first post of this topic.  I think there was another kind, perhaps never used in production, IIRC, I haven't written this history up for myself, so I have trouble recalling the history accurately now.  I don't recall right now whether the saddles-only type always had the hole for the handle, or only sometimes.

Are you sure that the handset "never" had metal bands?  I think I have seen or found barn-fresh set(s) without bands, that seemed never touched by 'scavengers'.  The catalogs certainly all indicate the bands.

PS:  Btw,  if I recall, the original patent of the 40-type did not specify any carrying features, but the side grip moldings were featured in the first catalog mention in 1940.

unbeldi

Here are two of the lift features of the AE 40. The set was manufactured between 1955 and 1958, by my 'guess'.

Shown are the molded grip features in the sides of the cradle posts, as well as the holes in the metal saddles on each cradle recess, I suppose they could be called a fulcrum.

PS:  After re-examination of the actual unit, rather than its archive picture, the set has a hole on only one side.  And the metal part shown that does have it is mounted in the wrong side, the hole should be behind the plunger not toward the front. This is clearly a refurbishment error.

wds

I've had several of the model 40's with no handle and no provision for a butler handle.  I think these are very early models before the lift handle came out. 
Dave

wds

Here's a description from an early AE catalog - notice that it makes no mention of a butler handle nor a lift handle. 
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on November 16, 2015, 01:25:17 PM
I've had several of the model 40's with no handle and no provision for a butler handle.  I think these are very early models before the lift handle came out.

Well, this photo of yours does show the same anchor hole as in my set. Doesn't it?  [PS: picture withdrawn after clarification, not to cause extra distraction.]

But in any case, I do seem to recall having seen sets without the holes.  The patent (US 2244918) for this feature wasn't published until 1941 however, while it was submitted subsequently to the AE 40 base patent, in 1938.  This patent doesn't show the butler handle in the shape we know, as pictured in this thread, but as a flat metal sheet of perhaps an inch width anchored in the same holes.  The patent also shows the bridge type static lifting feature.   Later, ca. 1947 they published another feature that is substantially similar to the bridge type, but does not complete the bridge across the entire cradle, but simply only maintains ca. 1/2 inch ears under which one's fingers go.

unbeldi

Ok, here is the well-known butler handle patent by Sengebush, applied for in 1938 and published in 1940:

US2200810 1940 1938 Sengebusch AEL--Desk Telephone Set

The 1947 patent, which I don't recall having seen implemented.
US2430276 1947 1945 Candy AEL--Desk Telephone Lifting Device

Dan/Panther

EdTel;
The phone I have has the same lift handle as yours, but not chromed.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 16, 2015, 02:10:56 PM
EdTel;
The phone I have has the same lift handle as yours, but not chromed.
D/P
Yes, all of these metal parts came in chromed or black-enameled versions.
But it seems the plungers were always chrome?