News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

This is the first time I've seen an AE 40 without the indentations.  I notice they are set up for the butler handle.
Dave

Nick in Manitou

A Kellogg Grab-A-Phone (I believe). Unfortunately, the bakelite is cracked where it sits in the cradle on the left side in the photo. It still feels solid, but will probably need attention.

A Dean Electric candlestick phone. I don't know what receiver should go with this phone. If someone knows what I should look out for, please let me know. I might have one somewhere else in this lot.

A Federal Telephone and Radio unit (weighs a ton!) and a U.S. Army Signal Corps marked Connecticut Telephone TA-166U.

Nick in Manitou

kleenax

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on April 22, 2018, 07:39:26 PM
Having just yesterday seen the post discussing the existence of AE40s without the indentations for carrying ( http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20264.msg207628#msg207628 ), I was alert to that when unpacking some more of the phones in the pile in my garage.

I came across two AE40s that do not have the indentations.  I am still very new to a lot of the details of all these phones, so I may be misinterpreting what was said in the thread about Robs Collection, but are these really unusual?

Nick

Nick;
these AE40's with no indentations are VERY scarce; (dare I say rare?).
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

As I said in Roberts Monophone topic...I've seen none in person and pictures of just two of them....which I will now increment the counter to 4....there, done.

Don't lose track of them...I'm gonna need details from inside and any and all codes found on them. I can see that they are old 40's because one at least has the metal dial mounting ring. And the stamp on the base shows "Chicago" not "Chicago 7" which means they can be no more recent than 1943. AE40's generally were made from about 1939 to 1957 give or take.

I am not certain that I have seen a 40 with the final digit being a 1 after the date letters indicating assembly line or crew 1. This too may be indicative of a very early model. I must have 50 of them around here and all have the indents.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

Terry, with regard to the AE40s without indentations, I have taken a number of photos of them and can post them here, elsewhere or email them to you...whichever you think is best.

I have also been unpacking more stuff and will post some more photos...

An AE40 I unpacked has a little push button on top. It shows up on the schematic, but I am just not familiar enough with electrons to know what its function is. Is it a mute button?

======

A telephone number stamping device

Nick in Manitou

Another AE40, made in Canada has a Siemens Bros, London, (Canadian Patent Date 1923) dial. Was this standard for the Canadian models or probably an aftermarket swap out? (What is the little button near the zero for?)

============================

TA-312/PT military field telephone

============================

A pair of European phones. (No markings on the outside and I have not opened them up yet.) I think they are good looking phones.

Nick in Manitou

Next question:

This phone is labeled with what I believe is probably GA-51859, which I believe indicates it is a phone made for the military. But when I look out on the web to see other phones of that description, I don't see any with the switch that this one has.

The case is marked Kellogg/ITT. The dates all seem to match on the base, but I can't find any date markings on the case.

I would guess that the case and the handset had been replaced, but to my untrained eye, that switch looks as original as the rest of the equipment mounted on that base.

Thanks for your input!

Nick

LarryInMichigan

It was not unusual for phones in some parts of Canada to have British GPO dials for compatibility with British phone switches.  I bought a junk Canadian AE40 once which had a GPO dial in it.

The European phones are probably Belgian.  I don't recall ever seeing those things, whatever they are, on the fronts on phones like those before.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Larry,

Those are push buttons of some sort. I have so much unpacking to do I am not taking the time to open each phone up, but perhaps I will have to do it on these so that I can figure out what model they are.

AE_Collector

The prairie provinces in particular used a lot of AE phones and they installed a lot of British CO equipment. AE would install British dials for these customers in new AE40's and 50's.

Is it a switch/button by the 0 on that dial or a keying slot or maybe even a chip in the porcelain?

There is a variety of AE 40 with a little button up by the cradle. It likely had several possible functions including ground start, button/buzzer circuit and maybe exclusion as well.

Terry

FABphones

The pair of European phones are Belgian (Bell phones. Have also heard them called kettle phones).
I have a similar one with the front button, and a carry handle.

...you can also see a photo of a similar one that I posted on this site on the 'lamp phone atrocities'  :( thread.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on April 24, 2018, 08:43:04 PM
Next question:

This phone is labeled with what I believe is probably GA-51859, which I believe indicates it is a phone made for the military. But when I look out on the web to see other phones of that description, I don't see any with the switch that this one has.

The case is marked Kellogg/ITT. The dates all seem to match on the base, but I can't find any date markings on the case.

I would guess that the case and the handset had been replaced, but to my untrained eye, that switch looks as original as the rest of the equipment mounted on that base.

Thanks for your input!

Nick

Looks like a Western Electric 510: 2-line without hold. Western Electric handset, dial, ringer, network, base pan. Kellogg housing.

However, I can't tell whether the key  (turn-button) and terminal strip are WE or ITT. Perhaps these were added, along with the housing, to a single line WE set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

mazda_matt

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on April 14, 2018, 01:19:17 PM
Well, time and space are still in short supply, but I took a few more photos.

Since space is a real issue for me at this point, I am looking at some of the boxes of newer and in some cases, new, parts and will be posting just a few photos of these in case someone is interested in them. There are a number of packages of cords, a couple boxes of new handsets from Western Electric, some boxes of unmarked new handsets and a bunch of new plastic parts for candlestick style telephones. These are some of the items I would like to find a home for so that I have room to organize the older items.

Boxes of handsets in white, black, painted red, yellow, pink, blue...

Hey Nick,

I would love to talk to you about all the stuff you have for sale.

Please call me at 800-843-1320 (Oldphoneworks)

Thanks,
Matt
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

Nick in Manitou

One box contained a 551A KSU with the base of a dirty 564HD still wired to it.