"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for 40s/50s Ericsson switchboard plugs

Started by escuta, April 20, 2020, 06:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

escuta

Hello,

I'm wanting to replace 8 missing plugs on a 1940s or 50s Ericsson switchboard, possibly an ADE 1210. The board was assembled by "Ericsson Brasil" from Swedish parts. The plug seems shorter than US plugs that I've seen and also the British 316 "GPO" plugs, being 23mm from collar to tip. Please see the attached photo, but note that the camera was off-angle and that distance should be 23mm rather than what looks like 24mm. The diameter of the sleeve is approximately 5.5mm. 

If anyone knows where I might find these plugs, please let me know. I'm trying some of the old telephone workshops here in Brazil but so far I've had no luck.

Thank you and all the best!

RB

That is a nice looking board.
The length of the plugs may be a problem...not sure.
Try ebay, that may be your best bet.
else, if you can find a longer, but same diameter plug, a sleeve may line it up properly???
Someone here may know more.
Good luck! :)

escuta

Quote from: RB on April 20, 2020, 10:25:19 AM
That is a nice looking board.
The length of the plugs may be a problem...not sure.
Try ebay, that may be your best bet.
else, if you can find a longer, but same diameter plug, a sleeve may line it up properly???
Someone here may know more.
Good luck! :)

Thanks RB. You may have noticed that I was here some years ago and my original post "Brazilian Ericsson switchboard" is still on this page. I've changed tack with my restoration project and resolved to start a new thread. Rather than restore the board to its former electro-mechanical glory as I'd planned (I realised I just don't have the skills for this and parts would be a problem), I am building an Arduino-based interface between the board and an Asterisk PBX system. The board will have outside lines via a SIP service registered by Asterisk and internal lines using rotary-dial analogue phones attached to a VoIP adapter/pulse-DTMF converters. Other things besides. With the help of friend on the circuitry required, I'm well advanced in this process and I'm at the point now where I need to wire everything up. Finding the 8 connectors for the remaining 4 call-answer pairs may be the biggest challenge left.

Hope someone can please help or perhaps suggest other places where I might ask about these European phone plugs.

All the best,

countryman

Because I still need a plug for my German military phone (Amtsanschliesser) I tried this one:
http://oppermann-electronic.de/html/telefonzubehor.html
scroll down --> Nostalgie-Telefon-Stecker 6 mm... 3.83 EUR (no picture in offer)

It came today and does not fit the military phone, which needs an even longer plug. In fact what I got was a cord with 2 plugs, offered at 12.27 EUR  8)
It is longer than what you need, but the diameter is also 5.5 mm. I guess it was a standard cord for many European switchboards. The length is the same as a regular 6.3 mm (1/4") stereo phone jack, so you might try this option first, using a sleeve as RB suggested? Might it be considered to widen the hole a little?

If you want to try the link above I guess you might contact the shop directly, or I might order for you if he refuses to ship worldwide (website states he accepts paypal from international buyers). That's a small shop specialized in antique electronic parts/surplus parts.

dsk

I'm not sure, but I may maybe help you with plugs.

Regarding Ericsson plugs  I made a field exchange many years ago. now I have got my SB22 (missing trunk pack and touch tone unit)    I could trade it for 2 of these: https://armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-touch-tone-adapter-ta-955-pt-for-ta-312-field-phone/
Regarding the German WWii  I had to use some diy there too, so I took a plastic 1/4 " plug and cut a little off the plastic. Works like a charm.

I have a spare plug too, but the bakelite cylinder was gone so a blue plastic from a pen does the job. and the threaded brass ring had to be soldered, but I have it and its working if you are interested. 

Shipping costs may kill it all. 

dsk

escuta

Thanks very much Countryman and Dsk, I was really happy to read your replies.

Quote from: countryman on April 25, 2020, 08:04:54 AM
If you want to try the link above I guess you might contact the shop directly, or I might order for you if he refuses to ship worldwide (website states he accepts paypal from international buyers). That's a small shop specialized in antique electronic parts/surplus parts.

That's very kind of you. My system only requires one contact for each socket and plug, so if the diameter is correct there's a fair chance one of the 3 contacts will make a good connection. It would be good if the plug travels though as far as the collar however, so I'll keep looking for now. Thanks again.

Quote from: dsk on April 25, 2020, 04:35:47 PM
I'm not sure, but I may maybe help you with plugs.

Regarding Ericsson plugs  I made a field exchange many years ago. now I have got my SB22 (missing trunk pack and touch tone unit)    I could trade it for 2 of these:

Oh! Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but do you have 8 or more Ericsson plugs of the right size? And you'd be willing to make a trade for two of the device shown in the link? If so, I'd be very happy to organise this. I haven't checked, but there must be private messages on this forum. I'll send you message with my contact details.

Many thanks and all the best!

dsk

Here is a closer look of the LME plugs.
dsk

escuta

I think that's it! I don't have callipers, but resting a metal ruler on the collar, I get 23mm to the end of the tip. Resting on the junction of the ring to the sleeve, more like 9mm to the end. And, since the ring-tip insulator is so rounded and hard to rest the ruler on with any precision, the measurement from the start of the insulator (on the ring side) to the end of the tip, is about 6mm. How does that compare? The diameter of 5.75mm looks pretty good too.

dsk

Looks like it is the right size, but my plugs are newer with plastic and not bakelite, as pictured.
It is 10 plugs, and you may get it all if you may need the parts.  If not I may send the plugs, and the rest will go into the scrap yard.

dsk

escuta

Fantastic! The old ones would be great of course but I'm super happy with this possibility. It's just the plugs that I need and not the cords or any of the parts. Will send another PM. Thanks

dsk

Now 10 plugs are sent, the postal service took $35 for the smallest package with tracking. 
Now I really hope it helps you. 

dsk

escuta

Quote from: dsk on May 02, 2020, 08:02:46 AM
Now 10 plugs are sent, the postal service took $35 for the smallest package with tracking. 
Now I really hope it helps you. 

dsk, $35 sent! I appreciate your help enormously. The switchboard is to be used eventually in a type of theatrical performance. It may take some time but I will post photos and perhaps videos when it's done.

I'm also searching for suitable cord weights. Almost by definition, these may be rather expensive to post (although perhaps they're not so heavy) and I can always purchase small pulleys with hooks for weights, but I'll post another thread about this soon.

All the best!