News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do you like about The Classic Rotary Phone Forum?

Started by Phonesrfun, October 04, 2009, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 24, 2016, 08:48:20 PM
I think this is, by and large, an older crowd.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't be bothered getting into arguments anymore.

Takes too much energy. 8) 8)

Well wait a darn minute exactly who are you calling OLD ? Maybe we are about to have our first heated argument. Dennis and the rest of you might be old, but not me never. I refuse to grow up.

BTW, I'm not old, I'm Vintage.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 24, 2016, 09:37:39 PM
Well wait a darn minute exactly who are you calling OLD ? Maybe we are about to have our first heated argument. Dennis and the rest of you might be old, but not me never. I refuse to grow up.

BTW, I'm not old, I'm Vintage.
D/P
Well I'm classic, like the 7-8 year old Motorola flip phones I see being sold on ebay being listed as 'classic', in a desperate attempt to get rid of outdated technology...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Lee David Day

:) 
  The educational aspect is tremendous. Not only have I acquired strippers and
crimpers, I have gotten rid of my "Flip Phone". With my new cell phone I have
learned how to take pictures, import them onto my hard drive, and post them
right side up, on CRP. All new skills for me. I can also now crimp spade lugs onto
26 ga wire neatly. (I used to do it with automotive crimpers with an assist from
needle nose pliers. Real neandertal style). So, thank you to everyone for all the
help and information. I'm sure it will continue. Go Forum.
DDay

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I like the wide variety of topics, and ranges of information on all sorts of phones you find.

RotoTech99

oldguy

I like the fact that beside you guys & gals being knowlagable, willing to share that knowledge, most of us also have a sense of humor. I've always felt that without sarcasm guys can't communicate & yes I know a lot of gals & the ones on here included that have a great sense of humor. It's fun being able to put my 2 cents worth in & if somebody disagrees, they just state there point of view without stating their post with "that jerk is all wrong" & then stating their opinion. I've only been a member 11 months but have learned so much it's an amazing forum.

Thank you guys & gals so much
Gary Anderson
Gary

dsk

One of our great things here is that if we have a problem, it is possible to pretty easy search for the solution, so I will absolutely ask you to consider to link to answers here instead o f helping to solve problems directly on Facebook or other social media.
If the answer is not here, but you know the answer please write it here in a new thread, and link to that  :)
dsk

Greg G.

Glad to hear that this forum is still has the culture that I felt so comfortable in and learned so much from, in spite of some of the animosity that arose a while back.  I'm not collecting phones anymore.  I sold, gifted, and donated most of my collection a while back.  I kept a few of the better ones I liked, but even most of those are boxed up, mostly due to lack of space. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on November 20, 2020, 10:40:09 PM
I'm not collecting phones anymore.  I sold, gifted, and donated most of my collection a while back.  I kept a few of the better ones I liked, but even most of those are boxed up, mostly due to lack of space. 
My guess is that you are just taking a break from phone collecting.
I have taken collecting breaks, sometimes for several years.

Eventually, I find a cool phone, it causes me to unbox some of my stash to compare and then (without warning) I start buying again.

I still attend at least 1 show a year, even when  I am not collecting. I sell off some phone stuff and buy at least 1 show find.
I have attended at least 1 show a year for the last 30 years.
I got lucky in 2020 by attending the January 2020 FL show. I was planning on a Fall show as well, but COVID happened.
I hope to hit a Fall show in 2021.
JMO,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Witty

I ran across this post and read all the replies.
I joined the forum years ago when I was working on my collection, but work got so busy I had to back off for years until recently when I retired. I am now able to spend more time on a wonderful hobby, in both collecting and learning so much history about it.
I have to say, you cannot put a value on a forum such as this. It is tremendous. The resources, the great people, the extensive experience of so many of its members is just invaluable in my mind. They are so willing to help with any questions you might have. Plus, it's free!
My gosh, you can't ask for more. Especially if you are new at this.
I sometimes wish I lived in an area with more access to old phones, like back east. But only for that reason.
Out here in Northern Colorado they are a little harder to find, but luckily there are online opportunities.
I'm not sure if there are ever any shows out this way but I'll find out. I've been lucky to find a few phones at local flea markets and auctions.
But my point is, any new collector should not hesitate to join this forum. There is so much value to be had and I will certainly pass along the word.
Ken
Ken

Key2871

I especially like the technical aspect when it comes to many telephone driven aspects.
Like ring extenders, how to trouble shoot so many different types of the old phones here.
And seeing collections and members collections and the vast differences in designs.
Like the red ITT trimline that's just beyond anything I've seen before. It's just great to see all these things I've never knew exited.
And the educational aspect is also great. Differant techinques to strip, chemically sand a shell to restore it. I just wish I knew about a lot of this stuff years ago.
I had a complete 1500 in pink but was so faded. I tried every thing I could think of to bring it back but gave up.

And the pictures of some of the collections here is so awesome.
So for me this was a great addition to my day to read about old phones issues and how some have overcome the problem and get a working phone from yesteryear is just invaluable.
Plus it's just fun to go through the older post's for the information. Some days for me is laborious and boring.
But I just come here and just look for interesting posts to entertain and educate myself.
KEN