News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Carterfone

Started by tubaman, June 02, 2022, 04:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

This arrived from eBay yesterday. Not a phone as such but an interesting piece of telephone history it appears. It has clearly come from a museum somewhere.
As far as I can tell it's effectively an acoustic coupler that allowed a telephone conversation to be rebroadcast across a radio network.
A pity whoever mounted it decided to drill holes in the bases but it's still rather nice.
I'm tempted to peak inside but it still has the factory seals on the screws and it says I'll invalidate the warranty if I break them  ::)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARTERFONE-MUSEUM-PIECE-/314005884257

VINTAGE 'CARTERFONE'
DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT THIS IS
CAME FROM A MUSEUM
GOOD QUALITY WITH BRASS PLAQUE
'UNIQUE?'

tubaman

Of the handsets I have available a Western Electric 'G' type is the best fit. This makes perfect sense for an American device launched in 1959.

paul-f

WOW!

A great historical artifact in wonderful condition. At that price, it's a great contender for Find of the Month!

Here's some info from a 2010 auction...

This listing is for an Original Carterfone Device was designed to connect a landline telephone to a two-way radio system.  Therefore allowing an individual who was not on the radio system to speak to someone on that system through a cradle in the Carterfone device and listen through a separate speaker.  a unique piece of Communications history. 

The model is C-3-L, M & H.

This unit was purchased from Carter Electronics Corporation in Dallas, Texas sometime between 1959 and 1966.  The Carterfone was the forebearer of the Private phone to Two way Radio  system interconnection to the then Bell telephone system.  Even though no physical connection was made to the phone lines, Bell sued to prevent it's use and LOST!!  After losing the suit, the FCC ruled that a multitude of private devices (including the technology for your cell phone) could be used on the Bell Telephone system.

Thomas F.  Carter who invented the Carterfone and manufactured and sold the units through his Carter Electronics Corp from 1959 through 1966 lived in Dallas, TX.  Approximately 4500 Carterfones were produced and 3500 were sold to dealers and distributors.  The Carters lived in the Dallas area for many years and then retired to Gun Barrell, TX.  For more history information on this amazing device goto http://www.sandman.com/telhist.html
This item is in really crisp shape!  You could call it New - Old Stock condition. The pictures are of the unit we are selling.  It has discolored in places with age.  Original box and instructions are included.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

SUnset2

Tubaman,
I have a Carterfone display just like yours.  I read somewhere that somebody made a bunch of these displays from the unsold inventory at Carterfone.
Paul

tubaman

Quote from: SUnset2 on June 03, 2022, 01:03:29 AMTubaman,
I have a Carterfone display just like yours.  I read somewhere that somebody made a bunch of these displays from the unsold inventory at Carterfone.
Paul

Paul,
So it's not quite as unique as I thought then. I wonder how many are out there, I doubt it's a very big number?
I'm planning to hang mine on the wall as it's a really nice display piece.

rdelius

i had a white one that i bought at a hamfest .sold  it at a telephone show.

Stan S

Good morning. Attached is a picture of a Carterfone I owned many years ago. This picture was posted on the Internet as part of an article I wrote. Out of the blue I received an email from an attorney who represented the family of a former 'Bell' employee. The family was producing a movie about the life of that employee and the history of the telecommunications industry. The attorney wanted me to agree to signing a release so the picture could be used in the movie. Being the nice guy I am, I agreed. Fast forward a fewScreen-Shot-2017-12-13-at-1.40.16-PM.png  years. Covid hits and I'm stuck in the house watching one movie after another. I accidently came across a movie called 'Genius On Hold'. Low and behold it's the movie the attorney said was going to be made. I'm watching the movie and all of a sudden there's my Carterfone picture. SURPRISE!  The movie although riddled with inaccuracies is a MUST SEE for all antique telephone collectors. If you have a smart TV and can get the TV channel 'Tubi' you can watch the movie for free. You can sign up for Tubi very easily and it's free. IF nothing else the movie is EXTREMELY AMUSING!

paul-f

Interesting, Stan.  Thanks for posting.

This link to the movie worked for me. No sign-up needed.
https://tubitv.com/movies/469128/genius-on-hold
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MMikeJBenN27

I hope he returned it!

Mike

Stan S

Quote from: paul-f on June 05, 2022, 11:22:13 AMInteresting, Stan.  Thanks for posting.

This link to the movie worked for me. No sign-up needed.
https://tubitv.com/movies/469128/genius-on-hold
Paul, thanks for posting the link. Walter Shaw was only one of MANY telephone enthusiast involved with the devices and individuals mentioned in the movie, myself included. Reading the ATCA and TCI newsletters and walking around club phone shows over the years there are MANY ATCA and TCI members I recognize having also been involved in those activities back in the day. Wonder if THEY are willing to admit it? "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"