"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Corvair Rampside

Started by HarrySmith, September 20, 2010, 08:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Got more pics tonight. Added them to the album here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/PhoneCo1963CorvairRampside#  (dead link 02-09-21)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

Love the truck and the '57 Caddy next to it ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Just looked up production numbers on my truck and found only 2,046 built in 1963. Total was only 17,786. That makes this a pretty rare truck. I am also looking for pictures or info on what it would have looked like when it was in service for Southwestern Bell. If anyone has any info or can point me to some it would be appreciated. I think I am going to leave it original and I am thinking about equipping it as it was back in 1963. Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

If my ancient childhood memory serves me well (and it usually doesn't) they were a pale shade of olive drab with a yellow stripe, I believe.

HarrySmith

I kinda recall that also on the SNET trucks when I was young. This does not appear to have had any stripes at all and the color looks Grey.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Do you own it now Harry?? If so, drive it up here and pick up some more AE90'S!

Terry

HarrySmith

Finally made the deal ;D
Sent the check out today, Hopefully I will have it next week.

Terry, I plan on driving it to the show in Maitland come January!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

Now you are gonna need a helmet, boots, uniform, gear, etc. to load that truck.

The disease never seems to stop.  ;D ;D ;D

Jorge

HarrySmith

Yeah, I already contacted an aquaintance that lives in Abilene and he knows of a local museum and historian where he says he can get me pictures and info on the truck when it was in service ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

There ya go!! 

I wonder how much time it would take to do all the restoration work, by hand, all by yourself?

(Just kidding, I know it's not a phone.)

HarrySmith

It will be an ongoing process for years :)
But I will be driving it by January ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 28, 2010, 09:39:21 PM
Yeah, I already contacted an aquaintance that lives in Abilene and he knows of a local museum and historian where he says he can get me pictures and info on the truck when it was in service ;D

Harry,
You should just go to the Abilene show and research it yourself. The reception  before the show will probably be at the museum.

You might check with the JKL Musuem. John LaRue likes old vehicles and I suspect he might have some good info on phone trucks.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Thanks Jim! I don't think I want to drive it 1500 miles and back but I will contact John :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Finally on the way! The truck was picked up by the shipper in Texas this morning! Expect to have it here in South Florida by Thursday!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

See Harry, you would have been busy on Thursday anyway (Day I arrive in Florida off of the cruise ship but have to fly straight back to Vancouver...unfortunately).

I would have lioked to come see your new "collectible"!

Terry