"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any Switchers out There? Xbar, SxS

Started by ESalter, January 23, 2011, 09:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

;D That's the best tip!!!!

I did so, and Steph helped me a lot, I think it will be working soon!
Its working on the first small tests. :D

Thank you!

dsk

AE_Collector

So what is it d_s_k?
What manufacturer and does it have a model number?
PABX or just a PAX? (telephone switch or just an intercom)

Terry

dsk

It looks like a closed system PAX ?
It uses ordinary telephones, and is made by Elektrisk Bureau (Oslo, Norway) I guess 1928, even when the diagram in cabinet is dated 1948.
The sign on the wooden cabinet says:
11CA  1-28
SKJ. U. 2
LP. No. 17575

This makes me guessing on 1928.
The building was from 1924, the cabinet was made in pine, painted as aluminum.
The design of the interior, and the use of an mechanical relay to make ringing current, dial and busy signal.
A subjective wish of having as old as possible equipment ;D

dsk

dsk

Some progress now.
I have tried to make a recording of how it sounds when dialing. Dial tone, and ring tone, or dial tone and busy.

Try the links under.

dsk

dsk

Last update:
Still not sure about dating, and the function of the little toggle switch.
The PAX has 19 lines, and may handle ONE conversation at the time. :D
I have temporarily powered it by 2 car batteries.

I don't know how to share it with you, its not made ready for connecting to internet  :D
I have a PAP2000 adapter, but don't know how I could connect it to a PAX like this.  The dial tone interupts my tone to pulse adapter too.  >:(

dsk

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi All:

I built a demo unit for the museum five years ao using North American Strowger switches.

Now, PEI got its first automatic switch in 1950. It was a UK Strowger made by ATM. I searched for years looking for any remaining parts from it to no avail.

A week ago, I got an email, then a phone call from one of the fellows who did the cut-over from it to DMS-100 in 1988. He had saved 5 switches when the rest of the exchange was scrapped.

These include:

2 Brand new first selectors (linefinders) from the exchanges spares.

2 second selectors

1 quite unusual final selector designed for ten party lines. It has a uniselector in it in addition to the normal UK connector to send the proper ring code to the correct line. This particular connector was used on the heavily loaded Miscouche lines.

So, this past week, I have been trying to locate the parts I will need to build these into a historically significant demo unit - using actual switches from the exchange.

I have located banks, bank hangers for the UK switches, coming from Ireland; also wipers (points), shelf jacks (part of the bank hanger in UK switches), a strip of l/co relays, Tellabs ring generator, interrupter,  fuse and alarm panel, and a 48 volt 7 amp power supply. Today I ordered a 44 inch high rack mount a lf, selector and the connector on (or in UK speak, a first, second and final selector).

I have done quite well, but still need two very important parts. As with North American switches, the linefinder (first selector) requires a Vertical commutator (Vertical Marking Bank in UK speak)   I still need one of these very badly as without one, I will not be able to get the linefinder going. I also require a ring tone generator, something like an old Lorain solid state unit or AE RT-1

If anyone has either item, please let me know!  

When I finish locating parts and have them here, I will have three of the fellows who maintained this exchange here t help build the demo. Nobody thought to keep the documentation for the switches, so I hope they remember details about their shelf jack wiring.

Another fun demo building project!

P.S. I just got a message from John Mulrane in Ireland that he is sending me the maintenance documents for all three types of switches I have.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Update on PEI Switch:

I thought it was probably time to do an update on the message above. Most items for the switch Demo have been found.

Thanks to a switcher in Ireland, I now have mounting brackets/banks for the above UK switches. The UK switches use an entirely different way of mounting as compared to North American Strowger. I also have a number of spare parts and manuals for the switches.

My rack arrived yesterday, 19"x44" aluminum. The bank mounts on a UK switch are supported by a piece of 3"X1" Channel - I have ordered it in Charlottetown, but as there was no stock, it is being made for me, and with luck, I should be able to pick it up today, and begin the placement of components on the rack.

L/CO relays, ring generator, 66 blocks, 48 Volt 7 amp power supply, fuse block, etc. are here.

The only parts not found now, are a dial tone generator, and a vertical marking bank (known as a vertical commutator here) for the line-finder.

So, now the fun part begins. Actual wiring will begin in May, and I will have three of those who originally worked on the Summerside switch prior to its being scrapped in 1988 helping. One of those gentlemen is going to be the fellow who actually rescued these switches from being scrapped back then.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi Folks:

Despite a truly nasty flu, I got a start at mounting switches on the UK Strowger demo:

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/demo2.html

During the project, through to its completion, I will keep updating the above page, so you can follow its progress. 

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on April 23, 2012, 07:09:24 AM
Hi Folks:

Despite a truly nasty flu, I got a start at mounting switches on the UK Strowger demo:

After the bout with the Flu, and my wife having to go to hospital for pneumonia brought about by the Flu, work on the VOIP equipment to put the museum on C*NET, etc., yesterday I finally got back to the switch...

Last night, I got around to shortening the banks for the selectors from 3 to 2 level. Should have been simple, right? Not as easy as it should have been. I had thought that they would have had the bank bolts with thread far enough down to do for either 2 or three banks. However, after disassembling one, I discovered the thread went only down to the top bank, so it wasn't a matter if removing one section, cutting off the extra bolt length and being done.

Add to that, the fact the original bolts were threaded in a weird British thread, so I couldn't simply extend the thread downwards using a tap and die set.  So, I ended up having to make my own new bank bolts using sections of 10-24 stainless rod which  had. But of course, I had no 10-32 nuts, so I needed to go for them.

In the end, the two banks needing shortening were back together, but after a lot more fussing than would have been necessary had the bolts been threaded down further.

Today, only one chore on the books, as I am taking my wife for Chinese, and that is to mount a power bar on the side of the switch  to plug the 48 volt power supply and ring generator, etc. into.

Its all progress, though. I am aiming for two weeks from now to have the retired switch-men from the old exchange to come down and help me wire it up.

Eventually is will be on C*NET, along with my North American Strowger demo, so people can play with the switches from any line on C*NET.

Photo showing the switch after today's work. The line-finder (or 1st selector as they call in in Britain), and the Connector (final selector) banks will remain 3 level. The linefinder, though British uses an American style bank and mount - all other switches use the UN banks and mount. The vertical commutator (vertical marking bank) has been found - only the dial tone generator is on the missing list now.,..

Early Sunday morning, a power bar was added to the left hand side of the rack, to take the AC lines from the power supply and to the ring generator, etc. Later, a bracket has to be fabricated to mount the right hand side of the fuse and alarm panel (located in the space between the power supply and connector bank). The panel is attached to the frame on the left hand side, it it currently floating on the right.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

More work done this evening, and a new photo posted above. The bracket to mount the fuse and alarm panel has been made, and I wired up the fuses to the power supply.

I sent out the call tonight to arrange out wiring session with the three retired Island Tel people. We have now to find a good day for all of us, and we will work at it for that day getting everything wired up. It should be a lot easier wiring this one with the extra help, especially with people used to these British switches!

I plan a day with a BBQ, and refreshments for all - it should be fun. I have everything except for the dial tone generator - it an be added later on.

I will let people know when this happens, and bring it all up to date then!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

I have solved my ring cadence problem. an electrolytic capacitor from 1948 did suddenly decide to stop working :-[ 

Some better pictures and films available too:
Old and 4 new pictures at :  http://photobucket.com/EBPAX
Films at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9RsSessKw&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZH4_DnaVU&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdGaCSdnLAg&feature=plcp

dsk

dsk

Now I have made, and tested out a working trunk for this PAX:

PAX to POTS trunk.

Circuit description:
Signalling:  (The pax line side is polarity sensitive.)

When calling the pax no e.g. 0 the ring detection relay R engages r1, the pots line goes off hook, and H closes h1 and the circuit remains off hook. (The transformer is a part of the circuit.) Simultaneously the r2 shorts the pax line when R and H are engaged. (This tells the PAX "the call is answered.") H's h2 releases R and r1 and r2 goes back to resting positions. H2 connects the transformers other winding to the PAX line and the POTS dial tone are clearly heard.  Since the PAX has a common supply for both extentions connected together, a pulse or offhook will be detected by the D (Dial) relay as a raised voltage, and the d1 contacts opens for as long as the pulse lasts. (Dial pulses are sent to pots line)
If the pulse becomes too long, the holding relay H releases the connection. (after about 0.5 second)
The zener diode prevents the D relay to engage as long as the telephone voice circuit keeps the voltage normal.

Pots side: H has low dc resistance, but high resistance to voice, the parallel capacitor has little resistance to voice signals. The 1:1 line transformer isolates the systems electrically, but lets the voice pass with moderate loss. 

PAX side: The  voice signals goes trough the capacitor and transformer with negliable loss. The diodes in series with the relay D blocks the voice signals.  Calling from the potsline are not detected in this cirsuit. Ringer(s) may be located in suitable locations, and answering may be done by dialling the trunk.  Transfer is not possible.

dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on May 13, 2012, 08:24:20 PM
More work done this evening, and a new photo posted above. The bracket to mount the fuse and alarm panel has been made, and I wired up the fuses to the power supply.
Dave
Work continues on the British Strowger Demo switch... Dial tone is hooked up, a line goes into each selector for testing, I have the -48 volt and earth (+ ground) connected, and today I connected the release earth to the selectors. This results in two fully functional selectors. When a number is dialed on the butt set, the two motion switch steps up that number of levels, and hunts to the right for an open selector along its horizontal access. As there isn't yet another selector connected it will then release.

It is working beautifully, and now the next step is to mount the banks, and connect the two switches together. Then, on to the connector...

Its coming together!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Dave and all others, I need some advice's.

I have now got my 1948 PAX working and connected to C*NET.

What would make this interesting to test, should I add on something more ?
68-24-76 was the original telephone number to that School were the pax was installed in 1948, the pax was not connected to the telphone network, but now you may at least hear the real ring and busy signals. The dialtone was the same as the busy, but continuously. At voip the dialtone is set by the callers equipment, in addition this dial tone disturbs DTMF-pulse conversion so it can not be sent for e.g. D.I.D.

At last: Thank you to Ian Jolly and Steph Kerman who has supported and guided me trough this project, they have lots of know how... 

dsk