News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

How about a lamp made to look like a phone converted into a lamp?

No phones were harmed in the making of this lamp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155131063994

RDPipes

Not bad but, the shade is hideous, LOL!

Etienne

PTT 1924 with vomiting bulb.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/154853937596

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on August 24, 2022, 06:30:20 AMNot bad but, the shade is hideous, LOL!

I agree. I did a lot of lamp shade searching when restoring the lamp phones I acquired (each of which had a hideous lamp shade).

I found the most esthetically pleasing shade form is one where the bottom diameter is about the same as the handset length, the top diameter is about half the bottom diameter, the height of the lamp shade is about equal to the height of the phone itself, the lamp pipe holding the bulb and shade should put the bottom of the shade about an inch or two above the handset (no more than that) and the color of the shade should be dark grey with about 10-15% light transparency to best show off the phone and light the room and still illuminate the shade when doing so.

All that turns a hideous lamp phone into one with art deco class (BTW, I've never drilled out or turned a phone into a lamp, make lamp phones, I just buy the those ugly beasts and make them look a whole lot better than received - and they don't come up for sale much anymore).

FABphones

I quite like the one above, but I will add mine to this thread. One of two which I purchased that were already phone-lamps:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25418

The other I returned to how it would have looked when issued, this one I tidied up, replaced the old plastic electrical cords with some more in keeping with it's design, salvaged the few parts which were good to save other phones, removed the incorrect parts, and used parts on this that would unlikely see a working phone again - but it hasn't grown on us.

Despite having no working interior and having been brassed out (not by me) the temptation is strong to remove it's silly hat and at the very least turn it into a display piece.

:-\
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Yes, I posted a profile for putting a shade on a D1.

Your stick shade is perfect, follows my proportions. The bottom diameter is about the same as the base diameter, the height is about the height of the stick and it starts right at the top of the stick. The cylinder shade matches the stick's profile. Balanced it out nicely.

I think a tapered shade would look "funny" on top of that stick.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: SUnset2 on August 24, 2022, 12:08:56 AMHow about a lamp made to look like a phone converted into a lamp?...
Way better than destroying a real phone.

Mike

Etienne

Quote from: SUnset2 on August 24, 2022, 12:08:56 AMHow about a lamp made to look like a phone converted into a lamp?

Well, some actually did it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292483747900

RDPipes

That's worse looking then one really made out of a phone.
There's an old saying about buying two hats that relates to this lamp but, I won't go into details.

MMikeJBenN27

Messed up!  I am looking for another one of those!

Mike

TransparentTrimline

Are these supposed to make me irrationally angry, but also make me want one just because its just horrid?
Look mom, this one has wires!

Contempra

Welcome to the forum, Shane. for my part I would put this kind of atrocity back in the state it was before being transformed into a lamp .

Robert Gift

I wouldo would do this if I can keep the payphone operational.

Am despoiling an AT&T desk phone. 

Have secured the lamp shafto shaft to the telephone's metal base.  (Just misses the ringer's clapper.)

Shaft continues up through the telephone case behind the cradle. 

Now trying to find a lightbulb socketo socket to attach to the top of the shaft.

The working telephone lamp will replace the desk lamp while also saving space!
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)

Contempra

You know , these payphones sell for crazy prices very often! So , I would never turn a vintage phone into a lamp or a payphone knowing what it's worth .

If one day I buy this kind of atrocity , you know well that I would put it back in its original state or , at the very least , I would get rid of the pieces of lamps . instead of transforming this (s) jewel (s) into a lamp , he would sit on a beautiful little piece of furniture just for him . It hurts the eyes to see this kind of atrocity just as much as it does to see human atrocities in this world . It's just my personal opinion .

Robert Gift

If there are many thousands of these payphones, I would try to run a lamp shaft up againsthe against the back. (Metal screws through the lamp shaft securing ito it to the back causing damage but as little damage as possible.)

Not drilling a hole in the top of the ITT desk phone I am working on.  (WE base and handset)

I would wanthe want the pay phone working.

Could it be made to require coins even though connected touresidentialine to our residential line?

Thank you.
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)