News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone help for a Novice

Started by NICKNYLI, February 19, 2024, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NICKNYLI

Hello everyone, I am in desperate need for sound advice regarding Payphone removal.

There are two pay phones that I would like to completely remove them from the premises.

One of them I can use for storage, the other I would like to use in my basement as an active working functioning phone.

I don't want to do the wrong thing, I would just like the know-how to effectively remove and use the pay phone again.

On the internet everyone says to drill the locks, but based on a post I just saw, that can be a very bad idea.

I'm also including a few pictures.

Thanking you for your considering my application to join the forum.

Regards,
N

dsk

Maybe someone may help you with the keys. I have drilled payphone locks, not easy and pretty different payphone from this one. When you have a center hole drilled with a small diameter, you have to use pretty large drillbit. To deep, and you ruin what's inside.  If you have to drill, don't rush!

G-Man

Unfortunately your payphone has  an Abloy in place of a standard Western Electric lock.

If it had the latter, Jim Engle most likely would be able to cut you an upper housing key based on the area code and prefix of the telephone number that is listed on your payphone.

You may still wish to contact payphone experts Mike Davis who lives in NY, and/or Jim Engle who cuts keys for most RBOC payphones.

718-527NYVERIZON NEW YORK, INC. (Verizon Communications)9104NWYRCYZN12NYCQNYLNDS100/00/0000Prefix Type: RBOC
 Switch Name: LAURELTON
 Switch Type: NTDMS100
 LATA: New York City METRO (132)