News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 307

Started by wds, January 04, 2010, 09:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

mark.... you made this copy? darn! I though WE actually had a conversion practice out.... well, I guess my earlier posts will go unanswered.... and I thought this was an actual BSP to follow...
John

markosjal

Sorry John, not "official" but works wonderfully on my 307 with zero negative side effects; normal sidetone, normal volumes, etc. Next I will be adding a dial to my 307 but I do not see that buggering it up either.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

MMikeJBenN27

Don't feel bad about selling your 307, I once got a rare 303C.  Somebody had fiddled with the wiring, so I put everything back the way it is supposed to be, and it worked perfectly in my house, as I have grounded ringing.  One of the cradle ears was broken off, so I fashioned a new one out of JB Weld and sold it.  The buyer disassembled it and sold the parts.  I have never seen another one, so I am still kicking myself over selling it.  This happens in the car hobby as well - you sell a collector car that needs work, the buyer says he will restore it, but junks it instead after removing the parts he wants.

Mike

Babybearjs

my first 307 was a 302 conversion. they had replaced the 104A coil with a 101A and disconnected all of the inductor wiring. After I found out that there was a whole line of 300 series phones I ordered a 104A coild from oldphoneworks and restored the phone. after looking at the 101A and the 104A couils I discovered how rto convert the phone from local battery to common battery... it was pretty cool! more wiring then the 302, yet works just as good once the coil is jumped....
John

markosjal

I found some problems with my previous diagram after using it to wire up another 307  New version posted here

Babybearjs

the other option is to connect the jumper between BL and A omitting the 330 ohm resistor in the circuit. then the resistor wont go to anything but still be kept in place. this may improve the audio.
John

markosjal

John (Babybearjs)

The phone is actually louder connected to C than to A

Babybearjs

Thanks for the reminder.... I forgot about that....
John

markosjal

BTW added a dial to my 307 . Since I do not have a WE Dial it was an AE dial  (making it a FRANKENSTEIN )  , but loving it all the way!

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I've located and placed a "correct dial" a NE-6D (WE 6A equivalent) in my 307.

I had a 302 that it's internals went bad, so I took the 6D dial which tested ok and reused it, wiring it accordingly.

poplar1

Searched for NE 352 in the TCI library. 502-400-100CA, Issue B, June 1962 shows "5H or 6A" dial.

6D WE dial has a white case and clear finger wheel. Not sure what NE 6D dial is. Can you show a picture? Could the finger wheel have been changed?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

The Northern Electric 6QD dial is NE's version of the WE-6A dial. It has the same terminals and dustcover.

The NE-6QD I believe was used in their 302, the NE Uniphone, and some of their specialty sets.

It used number plates similar to WE's.

Mine is from 1978, and has the white number plate with black numbers and letters.
Also, I believe I mentioned in an earlier post, that the original H7 housing was badly warped, so I transferred the hook switch to a H1 housing, which worked out well.

If I didn't mention that in my earlier posts, it probably slipped my mind at the time.

RotoTech99

markosjal

My 307 as it is now common battery and WE dial