News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Swiss dial cards

Started by Etienne, December 21, 2021, 05:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etienne

Swiss dial card in french, on a 1958 PTT Model 50.
Unfortunately, it has been totally wrecked when the phone number was extended. Someone "painted" the back side black around the new number, and stick a "Philips" logo under it (???).
Could anyone scan a decent one?

By the way, I saw several Swiss phones with a Belgian card. Did that really exist?

RB

Hmm, Dial 112 if you are deranged?  ;)
Sorry, just my twisted mind at play.
No direct translation, English speaker only...

countryman

The word exists in both languages, but with different meanings. Here it means a technical disturbance - call an operator for troubleshooting.
Today, 112 is the European emergency number. There may be national numbers in addition, like 110 in Germany (police call)
Here's a newer and "multilingual" Swiss card

tubaman

Quote from: RB on December 22, 2021, 03:03:22 AM
Hmm, Dial 112 if you are deranged?  ;)
Sorry, just my twisted mind at play.
No direct translation, English speaker only...

Or 111 to resign.  ;)
My French is only at poor secondary school standard but It is a language I find nice to listen to.

Getting back to topic, no Swiss phones in my collection unfortunately.

Etienne

Thanks.
"Être dérangé" means exactly "to be deranged".
In France, "Dérangements" was rather referred to as "Réclamations" until it became "Dérangements" in the 1980's. French has different variants, depending on the country. Belgian french is a bit different, too. Just like UK and US english.
I wonder if those swiss cards also existed in italian? I only saw them in french and german.
Complete translation:
Police-emergencies 117
Fire 118
Troubleshooting 112
Inquiries 111
Special services: check subscriber's list

poplar1

Quote from: Etienne on December 22, 2021, 10:26:59 AM

"Être dérangé" means exactly "to be deranged".

I have to disgree. In English, deranged means insane (fou). "Être dérangé" translates as to be disturbed, annoyed, or bothered.

Je ne veux pas vous déranger. = I don't want to bother you.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Etienne

Found a pdf with swiss dial cards on ptt-pparate.ch.
http://www.ptt-apparate.ch/Nummernschaltereinlagen/PTT_CH/Einleger_etc_01.pdf

Poplar1, we are both right. "déranger" means to disturb; "être dérangé par quelque chose", to be disturbed by something; "être dérangé", to be insane. Sometimes words are false friends (which can bring to trouble in some cases, BMW's E-tron series being my favourite, "étron" simply means "####" in french), it was not the case here.

Babybearjs

interesting dial cards... wish some of the old formats were still printed here... I miss seeing old dial cards that have been reprinted with modern information on them.
John