News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any HAM radio members on here?

Started by joey67, April 08, 2011, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey67

One of my other hobbies is HAM radio. I can't do it now, because I don't have a radio in my car. The stupid compact car I have doesn't have any room to mount one! I also don't have enough cable to run all the way over to the other room from my antenna on the other side of the house. Pity that the stuff just sits there literally collecting dust. My call sign is KF6CVB I earned my license back in 1996 as a technician and have not upgraded, but would like to some day. The call is an area 6 but I live in NY, God almighty what confusion I cause when I do get on the air and people hear that 6 call in NY. ....... Anyway ..... anyone else a HAM?

Phonesrfun

KD7PTG here, but not very active.  Mostly 40 & 80 meter ssb, but no antenna currently.  Got my original license (WA7GNU) in 1967 as a jr in high school.  I have done a fair amount of 2 meter, but lately I am more interested in phones than I am in repeaters.

-Bill
-Bill G

K1WI

de K1WI , still an active DXer . Travel often and try to take a rig with me when I'm out of country. Spend alot working as K1WI/VP2V and  FM1/K1WI   ( I will be IT1/p/K1WI  next week )
    First licensed in 1958 and have been active on and off  ever since.
I've been collecting phones for almost as long , worked for "Ma Bell" (Even a "radio man" for a while)  for 35 years so it was easy.  one facet of the "hobby" I am most interested in is Western Electric microphones amassing quite a collection over the years. Most of the old carbon mikes work well with ham rigs !

73    Andy   K1WI

DavePEI

Quote from: joey67 on April 08, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
One of my other hobbies is HAM radio. I can't do it now, because I don't have a radio in my car. The stupid compact car I have doesn't have any room to mount one! I also don't have enough cable to run all the way over to the other room from my antenna on the other side of the house. Pity that the stuff just sits there literally collecting dust. My call sign is KF6CVB I earned my license back in 1996 as a technician and have not upgraded, but would like to some day. The call is an area 6 but I live in NY, God almighty what confusion I cause when I do get on the air and people hear that 6 call in NY. ....... Anyway ..... anyone else a HAM?

Advanced Amateur Radio operator VY2AC - not very active, as I lost my beams back when Hurricane Juan brought the big one into and through the roof, but still have all my equipment (including the pieces of the beam). I have been licensed since 1984...

Dave

Amateur Radio Station VY2AC on Prince Edward Island
Call Holder for the Prince Edward Island Contest Association, VY2CA
E-mail: vy2ac@qsl.net

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

N1DQZ.  Still enjoying firing up the 60's vintage tube rig once in a while.  It fits right in with a room full of early 500 sets.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bill

W7WHJ here. No-code tech.

My first real, and very fun, job was working for Motorola in the late 60's, on the design team for the HT-220 VHF handheld radio used by police and other Gov't agencies the world over. I came to love VHF circuits, propagation, antennas - everything about it. But I never wanted - never was willing - to learn the code. And I really don't enjoy rag-chewing.

I had a good friend, now WW1Y, who urged me to get into ham radio just to continue my interest in VHF. Actually, "urge" isn't quite the right word. Animal words like "hound" and "badger" come to mind. Since he was a VE, among other things, and I worked with him every day, I eventually gave in and did the deed. The FCC issued me one of the unhandiest and least elegant call signs ever, so I signed up for a vanity plate reflecting my twin geographic homes, Maine and Arizona.

At present, I am not active. Today's community seems to have too much emphasis on rag-chewing, and not enough of the technical aspects of the hobby. In the 60's, VHF equipment was basically home-brew. Today, it seems you just pick up a synthesized miniaturized homogenized rig for a hundred bucks, and you're on the air. Just a personal gripe - I know there are techies out there.

Bill

rdelius

Ka4psn here,need to renew though.Some swl with an SX28,R390A,R1015.If I renew, for HF Swan 350 or Drake TR4.Have a  Yeasu ftdx 560 that needs work. Do radio engineering work at several radio stations.Worked on dials and other antique telephones for Chicago Old Telephone co for 25 years until sold out .Still have a Motorola Ht 200 brick with local repeater crystals in it but no PL tones so no access anymore
Robby

bellsystemproperty

I'm a ham, and I have a 70cm/2meter Yaesu radio.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

migette

Hi add me to the list, not active now but kept callsign up G6ZLD in UK

m1898

N9WFZ, no code tech. Not really active at this point.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

dpaynter1066

KJ4JWX General class.   I use an old Kenwood TS-520s Tube rig

Bill

W7WHJ, no code tech. Not really active at this point.

Bill

rdelius

Mr. Bones

KC0RDR here, not very active at present, but have a military RT-524 set and antennae, looking for a J-38 key to get after the CW. Gotta renew this coming year.
73!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

BDM

W8GTX. Can be found on 3967.5 or 3850 many early evenings into the nights. Avid pirate radio chaser especially MW pirates. Usually found around 1710/KHz ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI