News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Chicago Kellogg 925 Ash Tray Phone

Started by Doug Rose, August 04, 2010, 01:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Collectors....I won an auction on eBay 220638160769 last week for a Old Chicago refurbished Kellogg 925. The picture is from the auction, the phone is in pieces as you will see why. Ivory paint was in decent shape and really cleaned up like new with some automotive Ivory touch up wax. This comes in a stick form and you fill in the scratches on your car. It worked wonders in the phone. The bakelite is perfect, which is amazing on these phones. With the sharp angles and long distances, the thin bakelite cracks and chips on these almost always.

The bad part is, Old Chicago, to my horror, puts in a mini nextwork and repro elements in the handset. With silver satin FLAT cords that are cloth covered. In all my years of collecting, I never have had an Old Chicago refurbed phone in my hands. I know Robbie, from Old Chicago is a forum member and this is not a slam, but is this what was done on all Old Chicago phones? This is a shame as the outside looks great, but the guts are all repro. 925 are probably the most deco phones ever. I will track down a broken 925 and harvest the parts to bring this back to its past glory. My question is why? Why not just paint it and sell it. I know the former owner of Old Chicago is still selling painted and plated phones on eBay at $295 per phone. I always assumed ( I know) that it was a real phone. This is very disappointing.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That was a good deal that you got, even if the guts have been replaced.  I believe that the handset is incorrect for that phone.  That is the later style.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...it was a good deal!  I have seen both. The older version has a little bit longer spit cup. Its close enough for me....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

I bought a repro candlestick from Billard's Old Telephones in the 1980s, and it came with cords made from the same cloth covered flat mod cordage.  I think at one time, that was probably all that was available that came anywhere near the look of a correct cord.  Thankfully, we have much better cords now (though they could be better).
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Quote from: bingster on August 04, 2010, 03:57:40 PM
Thankfully, we have much better cords now (though they could be better).

I agree Darrin.  For the most part I have been satisfied with the brown cloth cords from Odis LeVrier and now Oldphoneworks.  But I've had an issue with an Ivory cord in that it seemed to separate or expand in places.  I bought a green coiled cord that was way too large for the phone--no where near the original size.  I guess it could have been used on a wall phone at that size but not in green.  I know that it's probably difficult to keep the cost down but I'd be willing to pay extra to get a quality cloth cord, especially a replacement coiled cord that is more like the originals....more silky.

rdelius

Not all the 925 sets had guts in them. We found some that were wired for subset use-not even a ringer in them. WE could not guarantee these sets with the old guts in them. The capacitors were not very good and the transmitters were horrible.We tried to use the original ringers .
Robby.
Watch out some of the ivory sets might have had some minor damage.That is why they were painted. These were very fragile sets. Many of the older handsets had a bad crack underneath or were electrically open .

LarryInMichigan

Speaking of Kellogg transmitters, I have not found one yet that works well.  Were Kellogg's transmitters inferior to WE's or AE's, did they just age badly, or do I just have really bad luck with them?

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on August 04, 2010, 04:16:36 PM
Not all the 925 sets had guts in them. We found some that were wired for subset use-not even a ringer in them. WE could not guarantee these sets with the old guts in them. The capacitors were not very good and the transmitters were horrible.We tried to use the original ringers .
Robby.
Watch out some of the ivory sets might have had some minor damage.That is why they were painted. These were very fragile sets. Many of the older handsets had a bad crack underneath or were electrically open .
thanks Robbie....this is in no way a slam to you, overall I am still very happy with the phone. You could not beat that price....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on August 04, 2010, 04:16:36 PM
Robby.
Robbie....in your opinion, were most of the Old Chicago sets in general sent out with reproduction parts in them, instead of the original parts. I know the cords were reproduction and expected this when I purchased my phone.  I am very happy with the bakelite shell (no damage that I can see) and handset of my 925, but in the future I would shy away from these refurbs knowing whats under the hood. I appreciate your time in answering these questions....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on August 04, 2010, 03:57:40 PM
I bought a repro candlestick from Billard's Old Telephones in the 1980s, and it came with cords made from the same cloth covered flat mod cordage.  I think at one time, that was probably all that was available that came anywhere near the look of a correct cord.  Thankfully, we have much better cords now (though they could be better).
Darrin....I purchased a phone from Billards in the early 80s. I stressed to Jerry I was kind of new at this and did not want any repro parts. I received basicall a total reproduction phone. Nothing was ever done about it, he just turned a deaf ear.

I also had a few issues with Phoneco with their "upgraded" dials in the late 80s as well as Mary. Now, I am more educated and stay away from the phone retailers. If I can't find it, I will have to wait until I can get it. If I need a part, there is a great network of collectors right here.....Doug
Kidphone