Stan S

Take a look at:
Ebay 282108360213

A1, B1?
Stan S.

poplar1

Originally a D-76869 handset mounting.
Recoded B1 at the WE Repair Shop.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like an A1 that was converted to a B1. It was restamped B1, and notice the E1 handset without a D number stamped into the bottom of the badge.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on July 21, 2016, 08:35:42 PM
Originally a D-76869 handset mounting.
Recoded B1 at the WE Repair Shop.

I think it has been modified twice. A D-76869 is equivalent to an A1 (never seen one of these) which is equivalent to a B1. There would be no need to re-code a D-76869 to B1 or, for that matter, A1.

I looks like it was re-coded Bx (can't read it) and then re-coded (very roughly) B1.

Can anyone explain why a D-76869 would be re-coded Bx rather than Ax? Although electrically equivalent, the wiring loom and retainers are different and won't match the relevant BSP.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 21, 2016, 08:54:25 PM
I think it has been modified twice. A D-76869 is equivalent to an A1 (never seen one of these) which is equivalent to a B1. There would be no need to re-code a D-76869 to B1 or, for that matter, A1.

I looks like it was re-coded Bx (can't read it) and then re-coded (very roughly) B1.

Can anyone explain why a D-76869 would be re-coded Bx rather than Ax? Although electrically equivalent, the wiring loom and retainers are different and won't match the relevant BSP.

Jack

When the B-type handset mountings became available, the A-types were discontinued, so I find it quite logical to recode to the current equivalent not to an older type.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on July 21, 2016, 10:16:30 PM
When the B-type handset mountings became available, the A-types were discontinued, so I find it quite logical to recode to the current equivalent not to an older type.

That would be logical if the wiring and retainers of the A were the same as the B.

I have never seen a B re-coded D.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 21, 2016, 10:55:21 PM
That would be logical if the wiring and retainers of the A were the same as the B.
If it is rewired differently, then indeed it should not be an A-type anymore.

Mechanical aspect should not be a great hindrance, subsets (534, 554, 634...) routinely used different parts, different connection blocks, even ringers, yet always used the same type number.

I have never seen a B re-coded D.
I don't think, I have either, but there was quite some some overlap in manufacture of B and D types, about 2 years, until late 1932.
Remarking is only needed, when the service type changes for which the set is wired, as you pointed out.  For example, when a B1 is refurbished as a B2 or B6, but not when a B1/102 type is reused for the same purpose, i.e. like a D1/102.

But I think I have seen some other strange remarkings, including this one here.

The documentation about these procedures is very sparse, not many AT&T Practices are preserved apparently and the BSP system was just in the beginning stage in 1930.

poplar1

One difference between the A- and B-type mountings is that the D-76869/A-1 have a capacitor in the base, but the B1 does not.
Therefore, the D-80370 or equivalent E1A handset can be used only with the D-76869 or A-type, since these handsets do not have a condenser inside.

The E1B handset has a 129A condenser across the transmitter terminals. That handset can be used with either type handset mounting, even if that results in having two condensers.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/doc_details/2231-a1-or-b1-handset-mountings-a1dial-tl
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

The reason for the re-coding is speculation for now but I do think there were two changes rather than one (as I noted earlier).

Jack

paul-f

Here are photos of a similar set from a 2011 auction.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Well, it was worth something to someone.

Two last second snipes saw the phone going to r***e ( 948 ) with his first and only bid placed just 3 seconds before the auction ended.

7 bidders placing 10 bids and it sold for $405 plus shipping.

WEBellSystemChristian

That was pretty cheap, considering these have sold in the quadruple-digits in the past.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford