Main Menu

Japanning, has anyone ever tried it?

Started by BDM, May 12, 2014, 12:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

TelePlay

I haven't tried it but only due to the somewhat obscure instructions posted here in links to old sources. This is the easiest to understand right down to items needed I've ever read on this technique.would be nice to know how well it works, how easy or hard it is to do and how good the finish turns out. And pictures.

BDM

I caught this link off one of the antique fan forums. As you know, the same finish was applied to early fans. Not sure really if anyone tried it. I see his results in that link on tools, but that's a far cry from how the finish looks and applies to our beloved phones. I keep thinking, whoever masters this technique and can actually apply a true Japan finish, would do well :)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

tallguy58

I don't know why anybody would undertake doing japanning this day and age.
If it was all it's supposed to be then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Seems there are other alternatives to refinishing these phones.
Obviously spray bombs are not that good...chipping and adhesion is an issue. Powder coating seems to be the way to go, but I haven't tried it yet. Others seen to get good results.
Other modern finishes are probably longer lasting and cheaper to apply than old style japanning. From what I can see WE and NE seem to have sprayed their finishes on. Too much of an investment to do small japanning jobs.
Cheers........Bill

BDM

I agree. But what I was getting at is the original finish and look. And yes the Japanning is quite durable. But this post isn't intended to start a debate on that fact and it's strictly a matter of opinion and/or choice. I would like to know strictly as my post states. Has anyone tried this, and if so what were the results? Personally for me, I would very much like to know.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

ESalter

I agree with BDM.  It might not be cost efficient at all, but if it was possible, I'd much rather redo a phone with a japanned finish instead of any of the modern finishes simply because it'd be closer to original and correct.  Of course not everyone would choose to do this, but for those that would want to, it'd be worthwhile to determine if it was possible and document how the process works.

---Eric

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Came across one of the many "secret" recipes today for Pontypool japan. Finding the items and then scaling them down to a quart sized brew is the first challenge. Making it would be the second. Posted here for posterity, and to add to the knowledge base for this long abandoned product. Seems it was used on automobiles up to about 1915 and then replaced with more modern products.

I know some have tried to duplicate this finish but has anyone come up with a good final product?

"Similar recipes or "secret varnishes" were also used in Birmingham. In his book on Pontypool japan (W. D. John, 1953),[2] published one of the recipes the workmen had handed down through generations:

448 pounds of raw linseed oil
    22 pounds of lump umber
    20 pounds of flake litharge
    100 pounds of asphaltum
    5 pounds of cobalt resinate
    406 pounds of white spirit or turpentine

The linseed oil was heated together with the umber and the asphaltum while the litharge and cobalt were added slowly. According to the recipe, the varnish was ready when a drop of varnish dripped onto cold glass remained in a ball. After cooling, the turpentine was added. There was also a pale clear version which omitted the asphaltum and the cobalt.[2] In modern tests, this varnish worked equally well on papier mâché and metal plates. Three coats produced a durable glossy black finish.[3]

This recipe bears a remarkable similarity to one for gold size published by both (Robert Dossie, 1764) [4] and (Stalker and Parker, 1688).[5] In that version, linseed oil is boiled together with gum animi, asphaltum, litharge and umber in approximately the same proportions as the Pontypool recipe. (Watin, 1755) [6] also describes the use of asphaltum as an addition to the well-known spirit varnishes of the day. It appears that the secret recipe for Pontypool japan had been in existence for some time before its use for japanning metal."

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

cihensley@aol.com

I used it several times. Once mixing it from scratch, using recipes listed from several different sources. Another time I found a small store in New York that specialized in coating based on old formulas. I ordered their japan. What ever the source, the finished product, which I sprayed, was OK, but not up to old WeCo standards and not nearly as convenient as modern coatings.

Chuck