News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any Camera Buffs out there!

Started by Phoniac, January 20, 2011, 11:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoniac

I got a Olympus C-8080 from my daughter awhile back and it's a real nice professional camera but, this ole redneck is hav'en a time with it. Canon AE-1 was the last SLR I used and that was about 20 years ago and, as far as digital's I'm pretty use to my Sony FD-85 and CD-1000 (Easy Peasy Japanesey). This Olympus is a bit of both, Digital with like SLR settings and about 30 of them. Any tips from you Pro's would be helpful. I just want to photo still life's in JPEG and have the MACRO ability when needed.

Dan/Panther

I had an Olympus that I paid like $350.00 for it 10 years ago. it was just too involved to ever be practical for me. Most photos I take are spur of the moment, and most of them turned out dark, blurry, whatever because some setting wasn't correct. I used SLR film cameras with all the bells and whistles for years, but the digital version just didn't seem to work the same. So I went to a plain point and shoot digital, and with the auto features now, I usually get decent photos, but battery life still sucks.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

My sister is a camera/photography nut. 
- Tom

Phoniac

No camera buffs out there? Hard to believe that out of all ya and the photo's ya all take. I would of thought someone had a camera like this that knew what they were doing with it. LOL!

benhutcherson

I don't have that particular camera, and have very little experience with Olympus cameras.  I spent some time reading a review of it.

It looks to me like if you set the top mode dial to "S", it will work just like your AE-1. You can then change the shutter speed using the jog dial on the back(below the hot shoe).

I personally still use my old Canon F-1 and T90 a whole lot, although I did get a Digital Rebel DSLR for Christmas this year and have really enjoyed it.

Dennis Markham

I used to be a camera buff, taking a zillion photos between the last 70's probably until the early 2000's.  I started with a Vivitar SLR, manual everything, Universal thread mount lenses.  I then got a Canon AE1 and later an AE1-Program.  I always wanted the better models but never upgraded.  I did my own processing of B&W and printed both B&W and color prints.  I left the processing of the color film to the pros, always sending my film to Kodak.  I have a Rolleiflex that uses 120 Roll film.  I used to take a decent amount of pictures with it but haven't used it in years.  (Photo attached is from an eBay auction.  I'm not sure of the model number).  I bought it at a yard sale years ago and stole it for $20.

Currently I use what is easy.  I have a Canon PowerShot SX130 IS that I really like.  It takes great macro photos and can be set for various light sources.  It takes great shots under incandescent lights and can be hand held at lower shutter speeds.  I got it from Santa this year.  So far, I like.  I haven't used real film in probably five or six years.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Phoniac on January 22, 2011, 08:45:08 PM
No camera buffs out there? Hard to believe that out of all ya and the photo's ya all take. I would of thought someone had a camera like this that knew what they were doing with it. LOL!

Well I thought I gave my opinion. Sell it and buy a good point and shoot with macro.
Save yourself a lot of frustration.
With the money left over buy your Daughter a gift, or another phone or two.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phoniac

Well, I reckon I was hoping for a camera guru that would be able to just tell me how to set it up quickly. It's a REAL nice camera and one that I would never be able to afford (She told me she paid over $600 for it) and I hate to just get rid of it because a day will come when she will say "hey Dad did you ever get the hang of that camera," and I wont lie to her.
So I reckon I'll just hang on to it and keep using my Sony CD-1000. It takes good photos especially Macro's it just doesn't have the pixels.
Thank you all for your help.

As far as setting it up like the Canon, well I gave that Canon to her 20 years ago and haven't much of a clue how to us it anymore.
And BTW, She still has it.