News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 392-B outdoor alarm bell or outdoor ringer

Started by skucera, January 12, 2019, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

After asking for help identifying several phones that I inherited from my stepdad, this one is easy.  The part number is printed clearly on the back, and a quick internet search confirmed that it is a Western Electric 392-B outdoor alarm bell or outdoor ringer.  I think the house I lived in for two years in college had one of these mounted on the outside as a fire alarm bell.

This one is missing its clapper.  I'd appreciate some help locating one, and I hope it isn't broken off, because it looks like a new one should just screw in between the bells.  If anyone can help me find one, I'd appreciate it.  The bells should polish up nicely.

Thanks,
Scott

RB

Your bell, is a phone bell.
Fire bells, were usually only one big red bell.
Yours were common on the outside of a building, to let you know you were gettin/missing a call.
Usually, you could not make it to the phone in time, but you knew you missed a call. :)

Ktownphoneco

Scott   ...   Here are a couple of pages from Western Electric's 1935 Telephone Catalog that you might find interesting with respect to your 392 ringer.     It's probably worth removing the black metal cap to see exactly what's inside.   It's held in place by the 2 machine screws located on either side of the Western Electric decal.    If the clapper is missing, you may find that the entire ringer assembly have been removed.     Pictures attached.   Click twice to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

paul-f

Scott

You can also find some good info in the BSPs in the TCI Library.  https://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Some that come up in a search include 501-250-301 and C31.148

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

This NOS Automatic Electric version of this ringer was just listed on eBay - BIN $45 plus $17 shipping. Comes with the original box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Electric-Outside-Ringer-In-Box-Phone-Telephone-Very-Loud/372572956101

Seller Description:  "This is untested but new in box. Very rare in this condition. Bells are probably 6 to 8 inches."

SUnset2