News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This may be a silly question

Started by oldguy, December 28, 2015, 09:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

BIN = "Buy It Now"  Some items on eBay will have this option.  Often times sellers will offer a set price (Usually the high-end of what they are looking for) as a BIN price.

So, if there is an auction going on and the bids have the item priced at $2.00 and it has a $50.00 BIN price, you can buy it for $50 and the auction will end, and you will get the item.

-Bill G

oldguy

Thanks Bill, it's obvious once you stated it! The only time I have used Buy it Now (BIN) is when it is the only choice.
Gary

TelePlay

BIN means "Buy It Now" so it's not an auction over a period of time. By clicking on a BIN button in a listing, you just bought the item at the price stated for the BIN.

Some items have an open auction over time starting at some low price, say $10, and also a BIN button at say $50. As soon as a bid of $10 is placed, the BIN goes away. If no bids are placed, clicking on the BIN button means you just bought the item for $50.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: oldguy on December 31, 2015, 12:48:34 PM
Hi Cliff, I live in the boonies outside of Grass Valley, CA. The only internet service I can get is satellite & my satellite Internet is very slow. With this situation, I am afraid if I bid any later I will miss out. I guess I need to try biding on something I don't care about as a speed test to see what happens.

I live in a rural area and up until a few years ago, I was on dialup.  If memory serves, this is how I did it then:

My computer is configured to synch it's clock with an NTP time server, so I know it should be reasonably accurate.  So I would put the clock up on my screen next to the auction page to figure out what the difference between ebay time as it appeared in my browser and real time was, add a few seconds for my slow moving bid and figured out to the second by my computer when I wanted to bid.  I would use my clock to time my bid so I didn't have to worry about slow page refreshes from ebay.  It took a little practice but I was managing to get my bids in within a few seconds of auction end.

Even now my internet service is not terribly fast and is somewhat variable.
Cliff