News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this Vern P's IVORY 1554??

Started by Dan, September 12, 2011, 10:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

ESalter

I saw this one earlier today and thought the same thing.  The way the cord looks leads me to believe it's beige.  Odd the seller says it's a 2554, might be marked incorrectly on the back.   ---Eric

GG

Definitely beige to my eyes.  I don't think WE issued 1554s in ivory but I may be mistaken.

cihensley@aol.com

GG has raised an interesting point, was the 1554 made in ivory? I checked paul-f's Web site and several BSP references on the TCI Web site. I did not find a definitive answer.

Chuck

Adam

Does Vern want it only if it was a "regular production" item?

As Paul F. has correctly pointed out to me, just because it isn't documented in the docs we can find, that doesn't mean it wasn't legitimately made.

For example, Western Electric made a run of bright orange 500s for the Howard Johnson's motel chain.

So, even if it's not documented, it still could be out there...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

This time, there's no doubt.

502-510-111, Issue 1, 11/67 clearly shows ivory -50 in the color ordering guide for the 1500 and 1554 sets.

Case closed.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

cihensley@aol.com

Paul - I could not find 502-510-111 in the TCI library. Perhaps you can send them a scan.

Chuck

paul-f

Chuck,

I'm not set up for scanning with bookmarks and OCR, so leave scanning for the library to others.  My library volunteer time is spent uploading files.  Perhaps someone else can provide a copy.  If no one else can do it, I'll be glad to post a digital photo here for reference.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

cihensley@aol.com

paul-f:

Paul Wills had a copy of 502-510-111, which he uploaded to the library. You have to make the assumption that table A applies to both the 1500 and 1554. Since it is accompanied by a column that shows faceplate colors, one could also make the assumption that that table A is only for the 1500. I know 2554 was produced in ivory, because I have one. Lets hope that Vern or someone finds the elusive 1554 in ivory.

Chuck

GG

Seems to me that on balance, the best thing to do is pounce.   At best you have an elusive 1554 in ivory that's gotten a bit of sunburn and can be brought back with Retrobright.  At worst you have a nice 1554 in beige that can be restored and kept or sold to someone else around here. 

But here's another wild possibility: could one of the local operating companies have put new plastics on old bases during the transition from 15xx to 25xx, such as to create an otherwise undocumented 1554 with ivory plastics?  Given the Bell's propensity to recycle everything, I would say it's not out of the question, especially if the 10-button sets were destined for use on crossbar switches, where the * and # would only get a reorder tone.