News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mystery phone. Who knows what this is?

Started by Matilo Telephones, December 20, 2013, 07:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

Yes Unbeldi, I'm in the process of posting it all with comments.  :)
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Matilo Telephones

Pic 1, inside of upper housing. Please note the word Futurit. No other markings whatsoever. Please note the way there are tubes for the shafts of the hookswitch. These tubes seem to be stamped to the housing after casting.

Also the green button is made of a soft plastic that is a little translucent. A bit like polystyrene. Not abs, vinyl of baklite.

Please note the line of small pits at the front. They designed this with the option of more buttons in mind.

I also had a look at the dial to see wether it had more markings. No such luck. Also the card holder at the front, the disc with the letters, does not cover any addional markings. labels or lettering.
Groeten,

Arwin

Matilo Telephones

Very interesting ideas. No it is not Sovjet. The finish is certainly not Sovjet. No cyrillic writing, what is there looks like German.

The Austria connection is promising, but I already checked the site of the Vienna telephone museum and several links on that site.

I like the idea that it might be a prototype may be promising. That might explain the lack of markings and that might explain why it looks a bit off (becuase it was not finished yet).

The similarities with the Ericsoon DBH 1001 hadn't escaped me. I already mentioned it. The inside is very different though.

This telephone is not from the 20's. The materials used, the way it was made and designed and finished are too modern for that. Looks more like late 30's, early fourties to me. Then again, the handset cord is a bit old fashioned for this period.

Oh and yes, the green button is an earthing button.
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

The label reads  "Brünn", before the date.  So that tells you that this phone is from the area in the Czech Republic that was occupied by the Germans early on in WWII, actually before WWII proper. Brünn was the German name of the city of Brno. And this is not that far away from Vienna, just a little bit north of there, probably not more than an hour drive.
So, I would research who was making telephones in the area. I suppose the phone is likely German or Austrian from the time 1938-1945.

If the green button is indeed original than it could very well been made in that period as plastics came in all kinds of colors by then. Even Polyethylene was established by then.

The design of the housing seems actually quite finished, the inside is smooth and clean with metal inserts for screws. Seems like a finished production unit.

The dial mechanism is interestingly different. How many pulses does it produce? 12 like the Siemens and other designs of the time?  -- These dials have another contact that cuts out 2 pulses.

The style of the gongs is interesting too, not the usual round type, but this oval type, which I have also in a Siemens telephone with a message unit counter. The shape save space. This shape might be just a little different. Have to compare.

That is indeed someone's name on the label, the person who inspected the telephone.  Kontr. clearly means "Kontrolle", or "Kontrolleur", in this context translates as "inspection" or "inspector".
I think this clearly establishes place and date of manufacture.

PS: I think the name Brünn could have been used even outside the period of German occupation, if the company making the phone was German in origin, as the name is goes way back in history and was probably used by many ethnic Germans in the area.  So the period I mentioned is not exclusive.  But it's almost mood, because you have an actual date.

unbeldi

The dial on your telephone matches almost perfectly a dial on a Fuld Kuhfuß.
While the dial face plate on this is certainly Fuld, it's is not certain that the dial was actually made by them. The dial center plate looks almost hand painted.
But in any case, here we have another example of your dial. The dial center has the same construction as well. Same as the Fuld of Frankfurt boxy phone you showed.
If your phone was indeed made in 1940, there is quite a gap in time between this 1920s Fuld and yours, to have such similar looking dials.

Contempra

Interesting phone !.....hard to know where it is from at first view and nothing's written other than the word " FUTURIT "...my knowledge is fairly limited in telephony for my part. :(

Matilo Telephones

Thanks Unbeldi, Br"un! I assumed it was a German abbreviation. Didn't run it through Google. Silly me. Brno! That must be it.

From 39-45 part of Germany and officially called Br"un. And had a large ethnic German population untill 45.

That dial also had me puzzled. It is a pre 1930 design by Fuld. But the name Fuld wasn't used anymore after 33, as it was a Jewish name.

The Fuld company was renamed Telefonbau & Normalzeit. It used to be much bigger than Siemens. But fell out of favor after 33, even though they changed the name.

This desing of dial wasn't used by T&N anymore in 41. See their Maingau telephone versions. They used the Siemens style dials, N30 and others.

Haven't found the right telephone manufacturer in Brno yet. No telephone museum in the area I can find or a local collector.
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

There may have very well been a Fuld company in Brünn.  As you hinted, Fuld was a huge concern with hundreds of subsidiaries or partner firms across not only Germany but other countries in the region as well. They produced and serviced a large percentage of private telephone systems at the time until they were broken up and essentially disowned under the Nazis.

Perhaps one such subsidiary in Brünn had a stockpile of old dials, which they used because of the diversion of new materials toward the war effort.

Matilo Telephones

Thanks, I'll try to look into that. Now I have an idea where it is from, it will be easier to trace its origins.

To be continued................I hope.
Groeten,

Arwin