News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ART DECO, GOD I'm beginning to really hate that phrase!

Started by BDM, October 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most over used selling phrases

NOS
Art-Deco
Vintage
Rare
old L@@K

Greg G.

Quote from: NYFED on August 06, 2009, 05:26:48 PM
Hobie.....here you go. Forgive the mess.... my ADD doesn't allow me to clean up between work days. LOL!

Clean up?  We're supposed to do clean up?  I didn't know that was a sympton of ADD.  All my life I thought it was just SOP.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

NYFED, that Kellogg 900 is indeed politely enviable. What year is it?
And never mind the "mess" in the photos.  To me that is some beautiful clutter. 
I probably really do have ADD: Brinybay's desk looks clean to me. But what is "SOP"?

Also wanted to respond to your AE 34 pictured on another thread. That's another phone that I love but may never own. I guess you know the phone in the opening shots of "The Maltese Falcon" with Bogart is an AE 34. Truly a beautiful very classic phone.

But is it...Deco? ;)
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie, at least that seller started his phone at the right price.....twenty-five cents!

NYFED

Here is my 'phone pit':
Note the cell phone (pda) next to the 70 year (?) old Kellogg. LOL! And also the myriad of phones waiting for my OCD. LOL!

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 06, 2009, 06:06:10 PM
I probably really do have ADD. Brinybay's desk looks clean to me. But what is "SOP"?

I just got the work desk, so give me time.  SOP = Standard Operating Procedure.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Quote from: Dennis Markham
Hobie, at least that seller started his phone at the right price.....twenty-five cents!

Yes, Dennis, I noticed that also, and in fact I would bid on it despite the silly description, just that I already have too many phones, especially black 500s. It looks like a 5-64 if anyone is interested.

Brinybay, I guess my SOP is somewhat SNAFU with my ADD. ;)

NYFED; I like your workstation! I'll post pics of my desk once I reinstall Photoshop next week I hope.  I've been putting off posting pics of my workplace, because I do indeed wallow in clutter, but now I feel better. ;)

But not to get too far off topic, the subject of desks and workstations should probably go here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=599.0

Or maybe we could start a new thread for a photo contest about who has the most cluttered workstation. I could be a contender. ;D

-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie, I may be in the running for that one too.  But I know what's buried under all the clutter........in case I need it.

foots

Not to get off topic but is that a North Electric phone hanging on the wall?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

NYFED

FOOTS-
            Good eye! Yes it is a North Electric 7H8.  It is wired into my serivce and I use it ALL the time.  I know, kind of a waste to have it in the garage next to my work bench, but I like it, it's loud and if my phone rings, I can hear it in the yard.  I think I might have been driving my neighbors crazy last night at 11:00 when I was continuously calling my home phone from my cell phone to test the wiring/ringer on the 900.  BTW- when I have both the 900 and the NE 7H8 plugged into a duplex adapter and call my house, they both ring once then....nothing. No more ringing and the phone is 'answered'. Any ideas?

bwanna

NYFED

what do you mean by 'answered'? does it sound like the line goes off hook, or does it just quit ringing? this only happens when the duplex is plugged?  possibly the adapter is shorting when ringing current comes in.

donna
donna

JorgeAmely

NYFED:

Check also for a leaky ringing capacitor. While on hook, the phone company sends you -48 Vdc. When you receive a call, they send you around 70-90 Vac to activate the ringer. That voltage could make a defective capacitor leak and momentarily cause it to drain some current from the central office.

When that happens, the central office "thinks" you lifted the handset and the ringing stops. From that point, they send you the dial tone so you can proceed to place a call.

Some capacitors heal themselves after a while and that is why the cycle may be allowed to repeat again. If you are familiar with the use of a DVM, place the capacitor across the DVM input (and nothing else, meaning disconnect one of the terminals). Initially it will look like a short while the capacitor changes. After a few seconds you should read infinite resistance (or blinking "1"s).

Another thing to try is to borrow a ringing capacitor from a WE500 and insert it in circuit instead of the original capacitor.

I learned this the hard way with an AE40 that wouldn't ring.

Good luck !
Jorge

HobieSport

Would anyone consider these creatures "Art Deco"? Or are they "just ducks"?
Inquiring minds are inquiring;
-Matt

foots

Hobie, I'm afraid none of those are considered art deco, well,  that guy to the right with the cool hair might be.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

McHeath

L@@Ks like Art Ducko to me.

I especially like the Duck with the Mohawk, dye it pink and give him a leather jacket.