News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Panasonic PBX (308, 616) Ringing

Started by Mmg577, March 23, 2017, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmg577

I'm interested in buying an old Panasonic PBX where the phones ring in a cascading or aviary effect. In other words, not all phones ring simultaneously at the exact same time.  Instead, they ring one after the other.   I bought a 616 assuming it would do this based on what I read in another forum, but it didn't.  Are there certain models, or maybe even software versions,  that this ring type occurs on?

mentalstampede

The 616 should cascade. There are four ring groups. Extensions 11, 15, 19 and 23 ring at once, then 12, 16, 20, and 24, and so on.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

I believe it has to be programmed to do that. The manual is on here somewhere.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

From my experience the cascading ringing is a default to the system programming, on both my KX-T30810BE and KX-T61610BE...

Mmg577

TelePlay

Quote from: Mmg577 on March 23, 2017, 06:22:15 PM
What does the BE stand for?

IIRC, that indicates the unit made for use in the UK. Slightly different programming code and the ring of a BE unit is US style while the US unit rings in UK style. Both manuals are available from multiple sources on the internet, just search for "kx-t61610be manual" or "kx-t61610 manual."

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7160.msg93558#msg93558

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 23, 2017, 03:17:35 PM
I believe it has to be programmed to do that. The manual is on here somewhere.
Here is the Forum link for  panasonic 308/616
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=62.

It is very helpful when you want to learn about these units.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Mmg577 on March 23, 2017, 06:22:15 PM
What does the BE stand for?

I usually assume it meant "British Edition", but could be anything, but as mentioned, they're basically the same with some minor differences, the UK one has the internal calls that ring in the US 2-4 cadence between extensions, the date display on system phones is in Day-Month-Year, and the programming defaults to pulse-dialling instead of DTMF when reset (which confused the heck out of me before I got my KX-T7130E phone to program it), other than that, pretty much the same hardware... :)

oldguy

I have both 308 & 616, they both cascade ring as a default.
Gary

Mmg577

Gary, do you know what software version they are?

andy1702

Asking the opposite question... Is there a way to make all the extensions ring at once? I can do it on a BT Revelation, but don't seem to be able to do it on a 616.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

rdelius

The ringing is staggard to lessen the load on the unit

I have a KX-T61610 V1 and my phones cascaded the first time after plugging it in on the default programing. No programing had been saved from the previous owner as it didn't come with a backup battery.

It works just as mentalstampede says.

Quote from: mentalstampede on March 23, 2017, 03:15:44 PM
The 616 should cascade. There are four ring groups. Extensions 11, 15, 19 and 23 ring at once, then 12, 16, 20, and 24, and so on.

poplar1

The cascading ringing occurs with single line telephones. Most of us have 0 - 1 proprietary phones connected.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Mmg577 on March 30, 2017, 01:03:37 AM
So, I'm really confused.  I bought another KX-T61610 V1 off eBay. The first one I bought was a V3.    This new one still doesn't ring in a cascading style.  It only does it if I use a non-proprietary phone.  The proprietary phones I have are KX-T7736.  Is it the phone sets themselves that create the cascading effect.  For example, could I achieve the cascading ring with an older phone like ae KX-T61620?

Proprietary telephones don't cascade.  Why would they?  The proprietary sets don't use the A.C. ring signal at all. They ring on digital command by the CPU.  The reason for cascading the analog phones is to spread or average the electrical load of ringing over time to avoid the higher instantaneous power consumption.
The ringing of proprietary stations is accomplished with the telephone speaker in the telephone base, requiring much less power.