and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oops, the other birthday phone photos!

Started by phoneguy06, July 28, 2009, 10:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoneguy06

I clicked "post" by accident!

foots

I'm looking for the same one for my birthday phone 2/3/78. There may be a good bit of plastic, but realize that many of these phones are approx. 30 years old or so and in fine working condition. I hope to find one as nice as yours one of these days. I have a wall mounted Starlite that's only 3 months younger than me that's in very good condition and works very well.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Where's the normal photo of the phone together...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

jsowers

As we say in the South, it's rye cheer...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1314.0

I'll never forget my one experience with an AE80E. It was at my best friend's house and I was going to show him how the dial comes off by turning it counter-clockwise, like the AE80 we had at home. I pushed and pushed and POP the plastic (mostly) dial stop gave way and I had a mess. A dial that no longer spun. It was a leased phone and modular, so I promptly took it to the phone company, pretended I was him, and got it replaced. Little did I know there was a SCREW behind the stick-on card. Duh! I think I was barely out of high school. It was my first time in that huge building--the main lobby is two stories tall--and I was scared to death. I was glad when the woman came out from the back with a new phone--another AE80E exactly like it with the number card stuck on. I didn't mess with them after that.
Jonathan

McHeath

Nice and clean on the inside, did you scrub it or was it that way when you got it?  Having never had an AE phone I'm always intrigued by the differences internally between them and WE phones. 

phoneguy06

Quote from: McHeath on July 28, 2009, 04:15:44 PM
Nice and clean on the inside, did you scrub it or was it that way when you got it?  Having never had an AE phone I'm always intrigued by the differences internally between them and WE phones. 

This is the phone as it was on the inside without having cleaned it at all, I was also surprised that it looked that good. My pink, much older AE 80 was also nearly this clean under the hood, which I wasn't expecting, giben that it was rather grungy on the outside.

JorgeAmely

Could it be possible to post a picture of the dial mechanism? A picture of the back of the dial will do. I am also curious to see the speaker and microphone to see how they compare to the AE80.

Thanks in advance and enjoy it!!!
Jorge

phoneguy06

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 28, 2009, 10:55:59 PM
Could it be possible to post a picture of the dial mechanism? A picture of the back of the dial will do. I am also curious to see the speaker and microphone to see how they compare to the AE80.

Thanks in advance and enjoy it!!!

¡Hola Jorge!

Anexo unas fotos de la bocina y el micrófono del teléfono, y como puede ver, son casi iguales a los del modelo 80. No saqué fotos del revés del disco, porque es necesario usar un destornillador para desmontarlo, y no tuve ganas de hacerlo en ese momento, pero tal vez en el futuro./For those who don't read in Spanish, I told Jorge that I'd added photos of the receiver and transmitter elements of this phone, and that they're virtually identical to those used in the 80. I didn't take pictures of the back of the dial, because it's actually mounted with screws and I didn't feel like getting in there with a screw driver to do it at that time, but if the mood strikes me, perhaps I will do it in the future.

JorgeAmely

phoneguy06:

Excellent knowledge of Spanish! Congratulations.

I wonder if the 810 next to the GTE logo implies that it was made in 1981. Notice that the ringer seems like a straight copy of a C4A from Western Electric. Is the phone heavy enough to stay put when you dial? Pretty much all WE phones slide on a table when dialing once they lost the leather feet.

McHeath: Don't join the dark side of the force. Stay with WE and away from those pesky AE phones. They cause all kinds of trouble.    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jorge

phoneguy06

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 31, 2009, 11:51:11 PM
phoneguy06:

Excellent knowledge of Spanish! Congratulations.

I wonder if the 810 next to the GTE logo implies that it was made in 1981. Notice that the ringer seems like a straight copy of a C4A from Western Electric. Is the phone heavy enough to stay put when you dial? Pretty much all WE phones slide on a table when dialing once they lost the leather feet.

McHeath: Don't join the dark side of the force. Stay with WE and away from those pesky AE phones. They cause all kinds of trouble.    ;D ;D ;D ;D

The phone actually does stay in place when I dial it, which is surprising, because it is very light. The feet have rubbery "nubs" on them which are sticky. The "810" on the transmitter element refers to the type of element it is, and not the year it was manufactured. My pink early-production 80 also has an 810 element in it, the only difference being that it is not stamped "GTE". The ringer is indeed interesting to look at, because it's just another example of how much AE eventually imitated WE; it even sounds somewhat like a C4A, but not quite. I think it's actually my favourite sounding ringer. The other way that it copies the C4A is that when it is adjusted for volume, one of the gongs now moves instead of the clapper, whereas the clapper moved in the older AE ringers.

McHeath

My 2003 Cortelco 500 stays in place when dialed, if the little rubber feet are not dirty and or dusty.  If they get even a little dust on them then no deal, and it slides all about. 

JorgeAmely

Phoneguy06:

Would you mind posting some pictures of your older pink AE80? Mine is from the 70s and it doesn't have all the goodies the old ones had.
Jorge

foots

McHeath, my '80 ITT 500 has no ringer - its light as a feather. I can't use furniture polish on my night stand for fear my phone might get flung across the room.  ;D

HobieSport

Quote from: footsI can't use furniture polish on my night stand for fear my phone might get flung across the room.  ;D

You just made me laugh in due respect.

Not surprisingly. We should really go calmly catfishishing together sometime.

America is very big.

-Matt

foots

Huh, did someone say catfishing? Ah, Hobie, now you're speaking my language. You get the poles I'll pick up some beer for us and some chicken hearts for bait, that way, if we don't catch anything, we'll fry the hearts and still have a good meal and a good time. Oh, don't forget the radio.  ;D