News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

On a AE WA-1154A Network, which capacitor is the spark suppression cap.?

Started by RotoTech99, February 14, 2018, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on February 14, 2018, 07:35:19 PM
WA-1154-A

C1 = 0.33 uF. Connects to 11 and to resistor R2.

C2 = 1.5 uF

C3 = 0.33 uF

473-215-200 Issue 3/Fig. 2, Type 80

Looking at a 182E Rotary and that (above) is what I'm seeing here as well.

A 182A Touch Call with WA-1155-A network has a 1.5 and likely a .33 though the markings are face down on it. So a .33 cap isn't present on this network with Touch Call.

Terry

RotoTech99

When you say C1, are you referring to the D-68849A capacitor I said was marked .55 + 10% rated at 400VDC; It's connected as you noted on my network.

Can you include the capacitor D number along with the values when you reply, please?

Just saying C1 along with the values confuses me as I'm not good at reading capacitance values.

BTW: The "+" symbol was underlined on the capacitor, as I'm replying from my mobile phone, I can't reproduce that symbol on my keyboard.

Please let me know,
Rototech99

I'm not sure if I have the GTEP you mentioned, is it in GTEP CHB-120? Can you send a copy of it

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

I'm not good at following network traces, my apologies.

It looks to be connected between 11 and R2 as you mentioned...can you send a picture better clarifying what you mean, please.

I think my replies are reaching you delayed, so please check my replies to you; I think I responded to your earlier ones, but I just want to be sure so I get your info correctly.

Also, please reply to my post #17 in this thread .

Thanks,
Rototech99

poplar1

My scanner is programmed to my laptop, but the laptop quit working. So other than faxing, I can't send the diagram. This is in CHB-120 issue 5 (1975) page 3 of 473-215-200 issue 3.

No part numbers are given.

It seems you could just find a spare terminal to use in place of 11. Then you wouldn't need to remove anything. In rotary 8O, line connects to 10, hookswitch closes 10 to 11, and dial connects to 11 and 1 (fig 2).

In 473-215-201, Issue 1, Fig. 9 (Touch Calling), there are no spade tipped wires connected to 11.
Line connects to 10, hookswitch closes 10 to D, touch calling unit connects to D. (Note 6 says terminal D is "located on the support spacer.")

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

On all the Starlites I've seen using a tone dial, the spark suppression cap. D-68849A or it's equivalent was removed, this was also true of the tone equipped 80e sets.

I was simply wanting clarification because I could not remember; I do recall being told the tone dial wouldn't function with the D-68849A or an equivalent in place.

As to the dial hookup, I've got a diagram with the connections I need to make, the diagram didn't show the cap., which is why I asked.

I get things confused sometimes for which I apologise where CRPF is concerned.

I'll ask Phoneco's technician about it as well, and maybe another CRPF member will reply that may've dealt with this before that has a clearer answer for me.

Thank you ,
Rototech99

poplar1

I can see why they eliminated it. Western Electric did the same with the F-RR dial filter for Touch-Tone sets.

However, if it is not connected -- by not using the 11 terminal -- then I don't see why its being there matters.

Turtle Lake Telephone Co. catalog said, "Inside heavy parts can be removed at no extra charge"! (Bob was selling hand generators for $5 each on the following page)

RotoTech99

My understanding has been that it won't allow the tone dial to function if it's in place, but if you're using a rotary dial, you're "good" with it in place.

But if you intend to use it with a tone dial, it has to be removed, and youd need a auxiliary terminal strip, or floating connectors to make the extra connections.

I found a diagram for the WA1154 network in GTEP 473-502-100 Iss. 2 from CHB-120 that shows what you've been describing to me, so I understand better now.

I forgot to mention why I was asking in the first place...I'm working on a Decotel Chestphone that  I am adding a AE component plate and tone dial to; I recalled a capacitor (the dial spark suppressor had to be removed), but I couldn't recall which was it.

I have my answer now, and can do what I need, but as I don't have the terminal strip for the connections not made on the network, I'll have to use floating connectors for the 4 connections and insulate them.

I have the ATC diagram and the GTEP diagram, so wiring won't be a major issue.

I also keep some extra WA type networks in case I goof one up somehow.

The dial I'm using is an  AE 112 ICTCU

Thanks,
Rototech99

AE_Collector

While terminal 9 isn't considered spare, it really is since no one uses grounded ringing anymore. It is a dead terminal for splicing the yellow set cord lead to one side of the Ringer if applicable.

The green lead from the brass static shield goes together with the green touchpad lead, both in terminal 2.

Terry

RotoTech99

I checked that after I asked about it, it goes on terminal 2, all right.

I forgot to mention why I m doing what I'm doing... I'm working on a ATC chestphone that has some AE components, but not all...it was a refurb by Phoneco or somebody with mixed parts.

I wanted to convert it to the proper AE components, and had a AE tone dial and AE component plate set up to accept a rotary dial. I recalled that the spark suppressor cap. is removed to allow the WA-1154A to work with a tone dial, and that 4 auxiliary connections by either a terminal strip or floating connectors had to be made.

I had trouble ID' ing the spark suppressor cap. #D-68849A until Poplar1got me thinking, and I got my manuals out. He was quoting terms I wasn't readily familiar with which got me flustered, but I figured out now from the documents I found.

Now that i've got it identified, I know it's the one to remove before I add the dial, and do the necssary wiring.

Once I get through, the Chestphone will have all AE components as it should, and I can take the Phoneco one and have the proper hook leads and AE network added, giving me a spare AE component plate.

I've got the diagrams for what I'm doing so that will not be trouble.

Perhaps the only tricky part will be finding connectors for the 4 floating connections.

Rototech99

kb3pxr

After reviewing a few GSPs I found that the two spark suppression capacitors are out of circuit when wired for touch call (touch tone). The first capacitor is installed on the rotary dial itself and therefore is automatically removed from the circuit. The second capacitor is wired between 11 and 12, neither of which are in circuit for touch call per GSP 473-425-200.

Now with that said, there was also discussion of that component being removed on Touch Call sets. This is the factory saving a few cents/steps, for a field conversion, there is no point of removing this component from the circuit. Anything we do would be considered a field conversion.

AE_Collector

I forgot to report that I found a Starlite wall 192 that was originally rotary but was converted to a Touch Call Phone in our shops and they saw no reason to remove the capacitor. So as previously reported, not really a concern. On with the project!

Terry

markosjal

I used an AE Mini Network form a Styleline in a WE 202 and parted out the handset as well. Near the area of the dial and handset hooksitch there was a .33uf capacitor. I suspected that this is what this was . So now I am wondering if I should install this into the 202.

upon closer inspection (see image) and checking the Styleline Diagram at
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric-1/12546-gsp-gtep-997-152-803-i1-may80-p27-styleline-rotary-wiring-mod-tci-pf/file

this is in fact a 100ohm resistor in series with a .33uf capacitor.

I wired it to the 202 I hope correctly across the Red Line cord wire and Pink (purple in my case) network wire so it will suppress sparks on hookswitch contacts as well.

going to look for the mini styleline thread for more details there
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4951.msg204713#msg204713

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish