and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

C*NET Publicity

Started by Fabius, February 05, 2015, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Quote from: andy1702 on December 28, 2016, 01:23:12 PM
Mark,

I think your post was pretty much spot on there. C*net isn't publicised at all. And the fact it shares it's name with a tech website doesn't help when searching for it either!

Like you, I'm a phone collector. I don't have huge racks of equipment because I don't have the space for anything like that. I just use C*net to talk to fellow collectors and enthusiasts while using the old phones I have dotted around the house. Originally I didn't have my own asterisk based server, I just used an ATA box to connect to connect me to Ian Jolly's system here in the UK. However I wanted to give a little something back and help C*net to grow, so I got an asterisk server (running Astlinux on a slightly midified HP thin client) which allowed me to open my own 'exchange' and provide some lines with interesting vintage recordings that people can dial into.

I think of C*net not as a network of computer servers but more like an old telephone company that just happens to have computerized exchanges, with different individuals owning and maintaining each exchange.

For me the beauty of C*net is it's unique ability to preserve parts of our history. here in the UK our phone numbers have evilved a lot over the years, with changed dialling codes and extra digits inserted into numbers. However with C*net I can use a 1970s phone to call family and friends on exactly the same numbers I called them on in 1975!!!! All they need is an ATA connected to my 'exchange' server or the free Zoiper app on their mobile phone.

I'd like to see C*net expand because I'd like to see more people use it. We preserve all this old equipment but what's the point if it never clatters, clicks, whirrs and rings into life. There's no fun in looking at a beautifully restorred Strowger rack that isn't doing anything and it's nice when the vintage phones around the house actually ring. That's why my c*net contact details are on the bottom of every post I make on this forum.

My one criticism of C*net is that e-mail list. I absolutely hate e-mail lists in general. They clog up my e-mail and the info on them gets lost within a few hours with no easy way of going back to access it. Maybe a C*net board on this forum would be a better option?

Andy.

I will gladly host such a forum FREE. I have dedicated servers. I hate the email lists too.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Quote from: unbeldi on December 25, 2016, 01:24:30 PM
@markosjal:
...You don't need to do that in order to just call other systems, you can configure your Asterisk system with the ENUM resolver and be done with it...

Not without pissing some people off I discovered the hard way.

markosjal

I have concluded the following:

C*Net is NOT INTERESTED IN NEW NODES, NEW USERS, NOR INNOVATION!

I never imagined how they would treat me on their list.

On a further note , I pointed out to them that I did recall leaving a message on TCI List or forum, many years ago suggesting that these guys with old switches try using asterisk . I also recall that as I did  not understand all of their requirements it was not clear that it would even work at the time. I was however busy running a VoIP business at that time and did not follow up.  I have been on and off that C*Net listserve many times over the years. Still however they treated me like a newbie and were even offended when I put a node up in a day without seeking their "expert" advice or help.

I have pointed out that they have the ENTIRE 1 747 prefix assigned but unused, and I requested it,  and suddenly I was the enemy. I was making waves and "demanding" however the part of their own rules (which they do not publish fully anywhere) that are published do clearly state they should have reassigned it and did not.

I also requested assignment to get the first Mexico node up and nobody ever followed up. I never got any numbers assigned despite there being no +52 node in existence to date and ALL prefixes in +52 are available.

They took all the fun out of it.

Mark

dsk

It looks like it is several ways to administrate C*NET, I have had a pretty passive relation to C*NET but th politics of the European part of C*NET is very simple but limited by some simple ideas.  All countries has got new dial plans, but C*NET tries to re-establish and follow the historical ones.  You may host a an area wit a few numbers, or a country if you allow new members to to be hosted by you. As well as possible peaple may get their old numbers as they grew up with, wit the area-codes, preferably from as long time back as possible. If you do not have such number, you should get numbers witch would be natural from your area. Where I live we got dial telephones inn 1968, so her we are under +47 (Norway) area-code 02 (Oslo ++) 6 digits starting on 66 or 67. Other areas had 3 digit area codes, and 5 digit numbers, when you dig deeper you could maybe find a number of local under exchange. (a small cabinet along a track) 

I like that, and I will give great credit to those planning all this. 

On the other hand

I have had little communication over this system and most for use of test numbers, clock, weather etc.
For the common user not especially interested in this a free account in Callcentric are much easier to set up, and may easily be changed to a real account with reasonable costs for telephony services to the regular telephone network.

Obviously C*NET does not fit your needs
, but with your background you may probably set up a server, and automatic registration as Callcentric and host a lot of free telephone collectors witch find C*NET bureaucratic, at least if you may convince us that you will keep this service running free for many years.

I am not very easy to reach because of my struggle to connect my PAX via a DIY trunk to the Callcentric Network.
You may call the Callcentric number 1 777 292 2141  or regular N.Y. number 1 646 570 1796
You get a voice message, then if you go for 2 and you get to my PAX with a strange dial tone, dial 6 and after a few more seconds it rings on my desk, if it not is night here in Norway.  :-)

dsk

andy1702

Mark, who exactly are "they" at C*net? I use the system all the time and have no problems with it. I also got lots of help setting it up. However I am in the UK, which I understand is administered differently to that in the US. C*net has US administrators and "rest of world" admins who are different. If you are in Mmexico then I'd say you're in the "rest of world" area, so the person you need to speak to about getting number allocations would be Ian Jolly in the UK.

We do have some rules about dial plans, but those are in place so the whole system replicates the old telephone system as closely as possible. Remember, C*net is for those wanting to replicate the hostoric system, it is not meant for VOIP experimentation. C*net members are encouraged to connect heritage equipment, which is exactly what people do here in the UK. It doesn't mean it can't be useful though. All my old phones at home connect to the outside world via a PBX. That PBX has three external lines, one POTS and 2x C*net. I also have the Zoiper app on my cell phone, which enables me to call home for free from anywhere in the world with a data connection.

As for recordings connected to C*net, that is entirely up to whoever is running that particular "exchange" or "local office". I have never come across any content I regard as racist at all.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

markosjal

Andy,

"they" being the few that seem to make rules for the rest and those that autonomously block other nodes

I requeted activation of mexico +52 , Never got it. I requested originally +1 747 which was assigned but unused , and according to their own (some of the few) published rules, they should have re-assigned that prefix and REFUSED to . I had an IP blocked by users because I had it set up and they never assigned the number range. It was through no fault of my own. It was theirs for their lazy asses. Now that IP can not dial into some other nodes. That was when I FINALLY was getting a +1 777 Block and after all attempts for +1 747 and +_52 were COMPLETELY IGNORED.

It seems if they do not like something that you are doing they shun you and prevent you from doing anything. They act as if a new user should know who to ask for what.

They stifle any innovation.

dsk

I am sorry to hear that it feels like that, as I mentioned over C*NET are not used much by me, but I have got lots of help from Ian, and would not have been up and running on my own without help.

I've had no idea of anything witch may be racism in c*net before this thread, and I have hard to believe that Ian have such things in mind. He is also a representative of a minority in the UK as a Welch man.  What I write here is no guarantee of no racism, just how I have observed it.

He do have pretty strict rules about  how many numbers you may get, and he want you to make and describe a setup as close to the old times number series as possible.  You will not get a full series of numbers, only what you need, and it shall be possible for others in the same area to get "their old number"  He will not allow to make numbers who not has been used in the old times.  That is not Racism, but a struggle to make a the number plan looking as close to what it was in the old times. 

dsk

Dan/Panther

Mark;

I removed that last post.
I am for one. sick and tired of that phrase.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

markosjal

well nobody will ever know what "that phrase" is since you removed it.

Anyone who posts racist material to c*net as Big John Novack did, or defends him is quite deserving of being labelled appropriately.

They are just a bunch of "good ole boys" l but then again so were the telcos and their employees back in the day

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

============================================

The following is the Registration Agreement all members agreed to abide by when they applied for membership. It is posted in the "Forum Members Only" board on the forum at http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18560.0

Parts of this agreement were written to prevent the forum from facing legal challenges (law suits) from anyone defamed with libel. This forum is NOT the place for personal opinions of any kind of any other person and/or organization. Along with that, the use of vaguely disguised obscenities are not welcome, wanted or allowed. Libel, personal defamation and obscenities posted on the forum are solid grounds for membership cancellation.

The Registration Agreement is reprinted below, in its entirety, with sections in bold that directly apply to this instance, this topic and the libelous, defamatory and obscene thoughts and words that were posted in it, some of which have already been deleted or edited out by other Global Moderators.

It is the intent of the Owner and Global Moderators of this forum to keep it a family friendly place for the positive and helpful exchange of telephone, telephone related and off topic (other) information -- to the sharp point, as regular member Doug Rose has said many times in support of the forum and the difficult task placed on the shoulders of Global Moderators to keep it that way and and in doing so run the risk of being themselves criticized for their efforts, "it's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun."

CRPF Registration Agreement

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

END OF AGREEMENT

markosjal

So by way of the membership of this forum I can not say what I believe C*net really is ? That is way too restrictive and you know it.

So we can not adddress any "sensitive" topic as it may be "defamatorry" or otherwise priohibited by the "rules" of this forum?

I am a citizen by birth of 2 countries. . One of those countries hosts this forum both in name and IP address. Both of those countries, including wheere I sit at the moment , guarantee me the right to speak freely . I do not believe that this forum has the authority to negate that right , especially when what I say I believe to be 100% true.  There is a name for that it is "censorship" I am completely willing to deal with any legal fallout that C*net or John Novack wants to bring against me , should they wish to.  I REFUSE to leave constitutionally protected right at the door of Walmart when I enter there just as I REFUSE to leave them at the door when entering here. Those rights protect me in all places , including here. Those right are protected for a reason and they apply especially in a public forum which this forum is read-onlty at least to the public. Just as many states now dub things like shoppitg malls and parking lots as "public places" .

If you feel the need to ban me, go right ahead. I have been an active member in this forum and have made valid contributions.

The issue seems to be mentioning "big John Novack" by name . His offensive recording had to do with a turd left by a mechanic in a black woman's car. Maybe funny to a white (racist) guy and not so offensive to a non-black , but racist nonetheless. I am sure his opinion is no better of my non-white origins.

Truth is my people were here long before his. If I chose to be racist it can easilty apply to most any non native american or Latino , which are often times one and the same, despite of society putting them in separate boxes.

I will not stand for it here nor anywhere else, nor will I stand for this form to support big John Novack by way of censoring me. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Doug Rose

Mark....Since parts of the post have been deleted, I am not sure what was said.  I know John Novak from years in the ATCA, but do not know him, Name recognition only.  I find no humor in the description on what the mechanic did. If it was in a conversation, I would have told him so. ....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

============================================

The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America states:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Civics 101:  The Bill of Rights protects citizens of the United States from the government; the First Amendment forbids the the government from censoring its citizens.

Private organizations (everything not government) can and do regulate what is allowed within their sphere. The Registration Agreement that members agree to when applying for membership specifically and clearly states the terms and conditions of forum membership set by the owner of the forum. By applying to and being accepted as a member, a contract is put into place whereby the member is allowed to enjoy the full use and participation of the forum as long as in doing so they abide by the membership rules, the Registration Agreement.

Censorship does not apply to this forum; can not exist in anything done by the moderators of this forum to keep the forum in line with the Registration Agreement. Both user rules and usage are clearly set forth in the Registration Agreement. The forum is not a vehicle for any and all opinions that exceed the scope of this forum. Anything falling under the "not allowed" rules and usage stated explicitly with the Registration Agreement are subject actions also stated in the Registration Agreement.

As an example, one of the largest and most known organizations very well noted for its stringent monitoring of posts for content and tightly regulating its members usage abuse of its rules and regulations by way of freezing their accounts, denying access to their accounts or deleting their accounts is Facebook.

The forum Registration Agreement is the same as any EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) in that it sets forth the rules and regulations of use and the forum really does take that agreement seriously, it does expect members to abide by the Registration Agreement, the contract agreed to by every member when joining and violation of the agreement comes at the risk of the moderation actions as stated in the Registration Agreement ranging from minor edits to membership cancellation.

dsk

This is a battle no-one can win. As far as I understand markosjal's feelings are deeply hurt, whatever the meaning from the representatives from C*NET was.  I will of-course think it will be better with an excuse than nothing. Still at a level like this I see no way to get a full peace. Even with an agreement of peace it takes time to heal.

Another point of importance it that this is addressed to C*NET and not to this forum, most of our members has wisely bin careful of making comments, so this case will not be anything else than a collection of monologues.

I should hereby wish that this thread was locked, and only opened for one posting from each part if they state to be willing have a dialog for peace and agreement on a pm or email basis.

When or if they reach this goal, the moderator may reopen for announcing the peace.

With a wish for peace!
dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on March 14, 2018, 01:17:54 PM
I should hereby wish that this thread was locked, and only opened for one posting from each part if they state to be willing have a dialog for peace and agreement on a pm or email basis.

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

As suggested, this topic has been locked to prevent further damage to this forum.