News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I broke my own rule--1954 Ivory 500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 11, 2018, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I spent way too much last month, and made myself promise that I wouldn't spend much this month! One day later, here I am, spending more! :o ::) It was well worth it this time, at least!

www.ebay.com/itm/30000142154570

Being May 1954, this is one of the earliest Ivory 500s I have seen. It also has a very early retractile cord, although a straight cord would make this more valuable. Everything appears to be original, right down to the older style 4 prong plug.

One part of the transaction that concerned me was the seller--he's very new and has no feedback yet. I sent him detailed packing instructions, and I trust that it arrives safely. :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

That was a nice find.  Make sure that the seller knows to toss the phone and handset into a plastic bag and mail it in an envelope :).

The seller is here in metro Detroit, but a bit of a drive my my house.

Larry

compubit

In my opinion, $40 isn't too much for a soft plastic Ivory, especially if you can get the coiled cord back into shape.

It will be interesting to see the outcome once you've done your magic!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

LarryInMichigan

My 1954 ivory 500 sold a couple of years ago for over $400 (forum link), so this one should be worth at least $40.

Larry

jsowers

I wondered who got that one. I'm glad to know it was Christian. If anyone can tame that coil cord, it would be Christian. It certainly is an early one and probably has the three-point dial mount. It also has the earlier version of the 283B plug, the kind with no ears. Good luck with that cord. It may need a peroxide bath. Actually both cords might need it and the phone too.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just mention I got an ivory 500 today--a Sunday delivery by the USPS, of all things. I was the only bidder at $19.95. The seller said beige, but the date was 9-56 on the bottom and light beige wasn't made until a year later. I did ask about holes and it had six in the earcap. The pictures weren't very good and he added a picture that made it look white, which was also not made until a year later. I took a chance and it turned out to be ivory.

eBay link if you're interested... https://www.ebay.com/itm/112843983859

I'm not posting any pictures on this one. So bargains can still be had sometimes on Tenite phones. Congrats, Christian, on getting a very early one. You were very wise to send packing instructions.
Jonathan

paul-f

Good Choice, Christian.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

So what do you think that coil cord is going to be....black rubber painted ivory? Initially I figured the cloth covered coil cord but doesn't look like it up close.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! I know this was a great deal, but still, a $40 dent! It'll take half a day to earn that back! This was a well-worth purchase, but the real world can suck sometimes... ;D

Quote from: jsowers on March 11, 2018, 06:54:51 PM
I wondered who got that one. I'm glad to know it was Christian. If anyone can tame that coil cord, it would be Christian. It certainly is an early one and probably has the three-point dial mount. It also has the earlier version of the 283B plug, the kind with no ears. Good luck with that cord. It may need a peroxide bath. Actually both cords might need it and the phone too.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just mention I got an ivory 500 today--a Sunday delivery by the USPS, of all things. I was the only bidder at $19.95. The seller said beige, but the date was 9-56 on the bottom and light beige wasn't made until a year later. I did ask about holes and it had six in the earcap. The pictures weren't very good and he added a picture that made it look white, which was also not made until a year later. I took a chance and it turned out to be ivory.

eBay link if you're interested... https://www.ebay.com/itm/112843983859

I'm not posting any pictures on this one. So bargains can still be had sometimes on Tenite phones. Congrats, Christian, on getting a very early one. You were very wise to send packing instructions.

Hey, if it's about an Ivory soft plastic 500 from an auction, it sure isn't hijacking here. Heck, if the subject came up anywhere else, I wouldn't tell you to stop posting about it! :)

I saw that one, but backed off. I figured it would go into tripe digits, but I was wrong. I already have two from '55, but I couldn't pass up a '54! Yours appears to be in much better shape than mine, and I couldn't imagine a better person for that one to go to.

The cord on mine doesn't appear to have any cracks, so doweling shouldn't be a problem.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 11, 2018, 08:16:29 PM
So what do you think that coil cord is going to be....black rubber painted ivory? Initially I figured the cloth covered coil cord but doesn't look like it up close.

Terry
Quote from: AE_Collector on March 11, 2018, 08:16:29 PM

Terry
I don't believe it's painted. It's most likely dirt or a black paint drip on the cord, the cord appears to be molded Ivory neoprene.
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Quote from: paul-f on March 11, 2018, 07:17:51 PM
Good Choice, Christian.

My paternal grandfather said "Rules are made for fools."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.