"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Asbestos question

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, November 04, 2016, 10:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: DavePEI on November 06, 2016, 07:11:41 AM
I remember one time, I took a brown bag full of the stuff home from school and played with it... It was definitely friable!
Then, years later, they found it was a health risk. Who knew?

Dave, as I noted earlier, it was already suspected to be a health risk in the first Century AD and a compensation payout was made in the US in 1926.

How old did you say you were? ;-)

Jack

DavePEI

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 06, 2016, 05:12:30 PM
Dave, as I noted earlier, it was already suspected to be a health risk in the first Century AD and a compensation payout was made in the US in 1926.

How old did you say you were? ;-)

Jack

Jack - they were still using it in the schools here in the 50s and 60s, and still installing it in public buildings as part of their construction up until many years later... It was not banned for use until many years after I went to school.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

podor

Asbestos was still used in brake pads and shoes up until the mid '90s on some imports. To my understanding, it is still used to some degree to this day.

Ktownphoneco

In Ontario, asbestos is still present in imported replacement (after market) brake pads, clutch disks and some component gaskets that normally run hot.   Even the sound deadening blanket glued to the underside of the hood on cars and trucks contained asbestos.
There has been a number of initiatives undertaken since 2012 to ban imports of automotive parts that contain asbestos, but to my knowledge, the law hasn't yet been passed.
As part of the long standing U.S. / Canada Auto Pact, vehicle manufacturers in North America divide up new vehicle assembly lines between the two countries.      Certain model cars and trucks made in Canada are shipped south and sold in the U.S.A. as well as here in Canada, while a larger number, are made in the U.S.A., and shipped north and sold in Canada, as well as at home in the U.S.A.
All new motor vehicles manufactured in Ontario, are required by law, not to contain any parts or components made with asbestos.    But that requirement only lasts until the first "brake job" or "clutch replacement" on a standard shift vehicle.

Jeff     

Greg G.

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on November 04, 2016, 10:05:37 PM
...I remembered that asbestos was also used in cloth covered cords, and my 1903 Stromberg-Carlson magneto subset has cloth covered wires in it. Does anyone know if these would contain asbestos, and are they dangerous to handle them?

Asbestos or no, handling old phones causes severe bouts of "phone-itis", there's no cure.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Brinybay on December 07, 2016, 11:00:15 AM
Asbestos or no, handling old phones causes severe bouts of "phone-itis", there's no cure.
I agree!! I have already contracted phone-itis! I have managed to acquire my first 302 the other day, a metal one too!! I bet I am the only 15 year old with a metal 302!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Greg G.

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on December 07, 2016, 04:53:00 PM
I bet I am the only 15 year old with a metal 302!

I've got a metal 302.  I'm 15 with 48 years experience.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Brinybay on December 08, 2016, 10:50:14 AM
I've got a metal 302.  I'm 15 with 48 years experience.
Agreed!  :D I like metal 302s better than the thermoplastic ones.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!