News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 554 - how do you get the face plate under the finger wheel off?

Started by Charles, November 11, 2011, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

I am attempting to restore a WE 554 wall phone. It was originally white but is now badly yellowed. I intend to try the peroxide method outlined elsewhere on this forum.

Can anyone tell me how to separate the dialer face plate (under the finger wheel) from the dialing mechanism? I don't want to chance getting any l peroxide into the dialing mechanism.

Thanks

JimH

Challel,

If it is a number 7 dial, there are two or 3 screws to remove on the face of the dial, once you remove the finger wheel.  On number 9 dials, there is a round metal retainer ring that you need to rotate.  A screwdriver sliding the tabs out of the slots works. Once the retainter ring is off, the number plate will come off.  Does it say "7C", or "9C" on the back? Hope this helps.  If anyone has anything else to add, please do!
Jim H.

Charles

It is a 9C. I see the tabs and the retainer ring.
Do I have to remove the metal finger stop?
Also, do I need to keep track of the positioning of the mechanism in relation to the dial face?

Thanks for your help

Phonesrfun

Yes, you have to remove the finger stop, and with the position of the finger stop slot that will allow you to visually tell where to put it back on, so there is no need to keep track of anything, except to not loose the metal ring clip.
-Bill G