News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

help identifying a 565 'rural' dial plate

Started by allnumbedup, December 19, 2019, 09:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

New to the form. I bought a 565 multi-line phone I hope to restore because I was drawn to it's numerical dial face. Now, I am now wondering if this is a frankenstein phone. Can anyone identify the maker of the numeric face plate. The dial mechanism is labeled WE and 7D 2L67 I-58 with 7C-60 crossed out but the back of the plastic dial plate has a logo and 13K. It does not look like other WE plate backs I have. (The base is WE marked as 565HK dated 5-65S with a 425E network dated I-65 , the handset is WE G3 dated C/66 and the shell is lableled ITT--it fits well when put back together.)  I am thinking of looking for a correct WE shell if the phone is pretty well appropriate otherwise and do not know how to disassemble the dial and it works as it is. What I am wondering is if anyone can help answer if this a WE dial face plate?

(Addendum: I removed the green dial plate from the dial mechanism. The logo in the picture is "EMCO" in a circular shape and font identical to one in an unanswered thread from 2010: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2718.msg37215#msg37215.)

thank you JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Key2871

I believe it's ITT, because it's been a while, but I have seen those on early ITT sets. But there's more knowledge than I.
KEN

Jack Ryan

I don't know the answer to the question but telephone manufacturers did not necessarily make plastics or, if they did, all plastics.

Injection moulding, particularly with tricky bits like moulded in numbers, requires considerable expertise. In the rest of the world, telephone manufacturers had their cases made by recognised plastics manufacturers. Most of the UK manufacturers did, German manufacturers like Siemens did. Most likely, US manufacturers did as well.

There is a company called EMCO but it is recent and is a fabricator, not a manufacturer. There may have been another company called EM Co that made plastics for any and all telephone manufacturers.

Jack

Babybearjs

always look at the bottom of the phone for the model number. if its a true ITT phone there will be NO "M'
in the model number.  ITT sold plenty of these to rural markets back in the day... so, I'm not surprised...
John

allnumbedup

thank you--everything (handset, dial, chassis) appears to be marked WE except for the shell marked ITT and the dial plate marked EMCo.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Babybearjs

just remember, all telephones used to be returned to the factory for cleaning and updating... fast forward to now, collectors are still forced to use what parts are available, so thats where the different brands come in... parts have always been and continue to be interchangeable. don't feel bad... I've got a 564 that has a ITT base, a WE shell and God knows what brand parts inside... its just the way thing go...
John

Dan/Panther

I just read awhile ago that someone posted about Shalamar and I could not find a reference on Google, Now I can't find the original post as to who posted the name Shalamar ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 20, 2019, 01:17:00 PM
I just read awhile ago that someone posted about Shalamar and I could not find a reference on Google, Now I can't find the original post as to who posted the name Shalamar ?

D/P
I may of posted it. If so I was refering to shellamar.
These are clam shell  looking telephones, made of  thick plexi type plastic. they use a trimline type handset.
You can find some photos in some of the "TAB" brand books.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 29, 2019, 10:56:03 AM
I may of posted it. If so I was refering to shellamar.
These are clam shell  looking telephones, made of  thick plexi type plastic. they use a trimline type handset.
You can find some photos in some of the "TAB" brand books.

... or here: http://www.paul-f.com/Teleconcepts.html#Shellamar

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20161.msg206525#msg206525
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Here is a photo from Paul F.
http://www.paul-f.com/Teleconcepts.html
The shellamars are in the 2nd photo at the top of the page. The photo shows them w/ an optional stand.
Here are some photos from further down the page.

>>>EDIT<<<<  I see Paul F. has posted the links>>>EDIT<<<<
I got 1 from my Uncle he paid several hundred for it new.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.