News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lot of NIB TA-222/PT

Started by dsk, January 26, 2019, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have wanted an US made field exchange SB-22/PT for years, but they have always been to expensive, the shipping and Norwegian customs kills my project so I have started in the other end. ;)

I got a lot of 24 NIB line packs for the exchange, Nok400 + postage.
Someone was cleaning up after their grandfather... :-)

Two of them like this, the rest are in sealed bags.  :o

dsk

HarrySmith

Kinda hard to see. Got a better pic? What exactly are they for?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

RB

Very nice.
And Nos to boot.  ;D
1/3 of the way there.

19and41

Really nice!  Most of the packs we used in my unit were quite raggedy.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

Too bad you are in Norway. I have a couple of SB 22 cases with no modules that are excess to my needs.I bought them for parts to build a good one

dsk

Quote from: rdelius on January 29, 2019, 11:13:24 PM
Too bad you are in Norway. I have a couple of SB 22 cases with no modules that are excess to my needs.I bought them for parts to build a good one

Agree, but I do not want to move even when your president has stated that he wants people from countries as Norway. I guess I will wait until he sends me a personal invitation ;)

For those who wonders: Shipping of a case (empty) like that will probably be around $75.

The only way to do this has to make an excuse for a USA holiday, and that will probably not be before 2020  ::)   

That will be about like a weeks fishing trip, and only getting one fish, and then calculate price/pound  ;D   So it is better to camouflage it as holidays  8)

dsk

dsk

I suddenly discovered the pretty small text over, so this is it again:
Quote from: dsk on January 30, 2019, 01:56:04 AM
Agree, but I do not want to move even when your president has stated that he wants people from countries as Norway. I guess I will wait until he sends me a personal invitation  ;)

For those who wonders: Shipping of a case (empty) like that will probably be around $75.

The only way to do this has to make an excuse for a USA holiday, and that will probably not be before 2020  ::)   

That will be about like a weeks fishing trip, and only getting one fish, and then calculate price/pound  ;D   So it is better to camouflage it as holidays  8)

dsk

dsk

Whats really funny is to solve the problem in a different way, so I have planned (and started) to build a wooden field exchange where I may plug in 12 line packs, just as in the original SB-22/PT.   The design will be slightly different, the operators pack will be a fixed part of the unit, it shall have the same functions, layout (almost) and be compatible to the original. The operators manual should be possible to use for this one to.

Not everything goes as planned, so the plug for the handset got to little room in my version, so I had to move it to the right side of the cabinet.

I do not like the US trunk line unit, mainly because it does not hold the line if you happen to unplug the jack and leave the plug in rest position.  The other problem will be operating it in connection with my SXS, so I have adjusted a little on a jack on the WWii German trunk unit for a field exchange, and it will work perfect together with any SB-22/PT.

How could that mod be so easy?  The german plug was slightly thicker than the US, and slightly longer. The only mod is to bending a litle on the jack so it accepts a shorter plug, and it works.  The original plug should be pulled slightly back from fully inserted, and the US plug just fits.

Pictures and more info will follow when I get the line terminals.

dsk

RB

Sweeeet ;)
can't wait to see this :)

dsk

I started up some weeks ago, measuring and making some rough ideas.  I guess you have to ask for details. Here are the first pictures.

How to make the male contact so I may plug in the line- packs....

dsk

dsk

More pictures: 
I am still waiting for the spring-loaded wire terminals.
The grounding will be a more solid terminal but the connections to the external trunk unit are not decided yet, probably line terminals, maybe screw with banana-plug option, maybe not.

Batteries, rechargeable 3.7V cells (Li-ion 18650 from old laptop battery pack)
The light is a LED lamp made for sticking on the top of a 9V battery.
The inductor/generator is from an old Ericsson switchboard.
The induction coil is from a WWii German field telephone. (FF33) made in 1940!

dsk

Babybearjs

why did you use bolts instead of machine screws? looks kind of odd.
John

dsk

The bolts has the perfect size to just work as plugs into the line-packs contacts.  Then I did not have to make any parts, just drill holes with the right positions. The 12 units plugs directly in, and from top 1 and 3 are line, 2 and 4 is signal to the buzzer, and one of those are also ground of the over voltage (Surge) line protection.

dsk

Key2871

So you made it so the circuit Pack is modular, unplug it when and if you need to...
An interesting way of making that, you've put much thought into this I can see. Very good job!

Ken
KEN