News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 24 Dials and Early Logos

Started by Slal, January 05, 2018, 11:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

So the brass bit on the shaft with two arms operates the various shorting/opening at the correct time so it is quite possible that it is very different in this Dial. Yes you can unhook it and remove and replace it with the one from your Parts dial. I'm not certain how you get the correct number if turns back onto the main spring when doing this though.

As Robby says, there is going to be a few other differences as well, there pretty much has to be a shorter interdigital pause (built in time before you can start sending the next string of pulses) but that's easy to overcome, don't try speed dialing! Check the fibre cam for normal looking shape as well. It would affect the make/break ratio which could drive the CO nuts as well.

Terry

rdelius

AE mainspring with brass pushers 1-1 1/3 turns. Newer AE dial mainsprings with aluminum pushers about 2 turns. Notice how military/navy dials sometimes have a screw to hold the mainspring down instead of a locking slot

Slal

Will try to get around to posting photos for Stubs.  Tablet is charging.

Right now am thinking: either contact Steve Hiltz (but have been spending too much money this month) or if I work on the dial at all-- take the good cam shaft from "A" dial and put it on the 51.  Easiest way to have at least one good one. 

Have to think about if want to learn how to disassemble one or both dials to get to brass part on main shaft, deal with number of winds, also remove & replace cam, etc.  Be a good learning exercise, but sometimes better off knowing when to quit and just turn it over to someone like Steve who specializes in this sort of thing. 

Thanks for replies.  Been really cold here so haven't spent much time in the shop.  Will be in touch!

--Bruce

stub

Bruce ,
           Call Steve Hilsz  . He can tell you all about this dial. I ordered some parts and he told me all about it , very interesting . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

Quote from: stub on January 13, 2018, 03:42:22 PM
Bruce ,
          Can you post some pics of the front of dial with the finger wheel off ? I haven't seen one of the A dials.  thanks stub

We're not used to below freezing temps in central Texas.  Have had time to play with camera.  Here are requested photos, and of course-- I like asking questions.  ; )

1.) The black cover is an example of 'splash proof' dial as well?

2.) For military, another example of ratchet on a 24A36 before they put them on 50s or 51s?  (The other was found on early circle logo #24 on a navy "F" type phone) 
Ratchet probably easier to make.  They kept the 'piano wire' approach because... ?

Phrased differently, earliest example of 'civilian' 24A36 with ratchet is... ?

3.) Brass part on main shaft is called the...  ?

Rear looks like a 24A36 to me.  AE 'thick bar' logo & not die-cast.

Does anyone have an example of a 24 dial with the 'thick bar' AE-CO logo rather than the oval one?

The only ones I see for sale now are 24s that have the 'diamond' and not the circle.  These 24s could be modified 24A36 type dials to make them go "Tick-Tick-Tick" on windup?  Buyer Beware?

Anyway, thanks for reading & hope everyone staying warm!

--Bruce