News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 80 Won't ring

Started by Dan, October 10, 2009, 09:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I bought a beautiful soft plastic AE red , but it had no ringer. I just picked up this black one from around 1972 or so but it won't ring (I will try to move it to the red one, once I get it ringing). Here are some pictures. Picture two shows where the red and green ringer wires attach.  I know the L1 and L2 are the red and green from the ringer and have looked at a schematic or two, but the circuit board is confusing to me. Any help would be much appreciated. It is a straight line ringer, I believe. PS where do you insert the pin to pop off the plastic dial? Fell free to minimize these pics if you need to, I don't know how....

Garden Variety AE 80 black, apart and dirty

Dial off, showing circuit board

SL ringer, I believe

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

I am cooking now, I will give you a hand in a couple hours.

Jorge

Dan

I'll take mine medium rare with a side order of a ringing AE80. (thanks)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Dan:

The ringer should have 4 wires;  Red, Green, Black, and White.

Connect Red to terminal 15 on the network card;
Green and White to terminal 16;
Black to terminal 7

See if that works.  It worked for Greg (Brinybay) the other day.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Here you go:

I wire them per the TCI library schematics. I use a 4 prong plug, therefore, inside the plug, green and yellow are tied together.

9: yellow from mounting cord and black from ringer.
21: unused.
15: red from the ringer.
10: red from mounting cord, black from the hook switch.
16: green and white from the ringer.
8: green from the mounting cord and white from the hook switch.
6: orange from the hook switch.

PS: Your finger wheel is the late type. Remove the stick-on card and you will see a Phillips screw. Remove that and the wheel will come off.
Jorge

Dan

HERES A PIC OF THE BACK OF THE RINGER WIRES. Only three and the black is connected from one spot to another, like a jumper.

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Where is your ringer capacitor? Without it, and the ringer across tip and ring,  no ringing will take place. The central office will think your phone is off the hook.
Jorge

Dan

I'll move the red to 10 and the green to 16. I have no white and the black isn't an issue. We'll see what happens

jorge--what does the capacitor look like?

still no ringing

Phonesrfun

Ahhh your ringer does not have the built-in condenser which has the white and black wires on it, like the earlier ones did.  The condenser must be on the board.  The black wire you see is just putting the two ringer coils in series with each other.  You probably have just a green and red coming from the ringer to be hooked up.

I am not a real expert on AE, so I can stand on the sidelines and let Jorge work with this one, lest we have too many cooks in the kitchen.

Holler if you guys need anything from me.   :)

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Maybe he should get a good photo of the board.
-Bill G

Dan

bedtime , must get up in 5.5 SHORT hours. I'll be back sunday night. Thanks so far. There is not a lot of AE80 pics and info on the net, so hopefully this will help a lot of others with non- ringing AE80's (an extremely common phone, as I am told).

JorgeAmely

Bill:

I see the capacitor now. It is partially shown in Dan's picture above.

Dan:

That yellow component is the capacitor. You have it connected between 15 and 16.

Are you going to use a 4 prong plug?
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Jorge:

You're right.  I see it now.  I was going to say that the ringer mount looks like it has holes for the capacitor, but none is there.  Maybe this is a later early version that was made to use the smaller capacitor to cut down on the weight.

-Bill
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Or that lighting blew the original one away.

My mom had her laptop modem go that way. And the lightning strike also killed 15 cows on the lot next to her.  :'( :'( :'(
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Yikes!  Fried beef.  And yes, it could also be a replacement.  Dan should not have any problem getting it to ring, once the connections get made.

-Bill
-Bill G