News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are these train Parts ?

Started by Dan/Panther, February 04, 2010, 08:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I believe these are Lionel train parts, but I don't recall what they are used for. I collect Marx.
Any help would be appreciated.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

The top one is a track clip for Lionel standard O track.

If you look at this photo

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee204/ben10ben/IMG_0957.jpg

On the back side, where a straight connects to a curve on both an inside and outside loop, you'll see them in use.

I have dozens of them scattered around my layout, but unfortunately this was the only photo I could find which shows them in use.

Not sure about the other one.

Dan/Panther

Ben;
Thanks about the track clips.
The other appears to be a slip on cover of sorts. The hole seems as though something pops into it to keep it secure. I got several of both in a batch of things I bought awhile back.
D/P

benhutcherson

I almost wonder if that's another type of track clip.

It could slip over the outside of the ties rather than the inside. Not sure if it would fit Lionel, though-it could also possibly be for S-gauge American Flyer.

How far apart are the two flanges?

Dan/Panther

Ben;
I think you are right.
You slide the end of the track into it, then you tack this part to your layout board, because American Flyer has no middle rail it would be easy to then tack the bracket to your layout board.

Thanks;
D/P

Dan/Panther

Ben;
OOPS!! ::) won't work for that, then you would be shorting out the track, maybe for windup or battery sets ?
D/P

benhutcherson

Dan,

American Flyer track has sheet metal ties with a rolled "foot" on them, not unlike what you'd see on Lionel ties.

What I'm suggesting is that the rolled edge at the sides of that clip could fit into the rolled edge on the Flyer ties, and hold them together. This isn't unlike how the Lionel clip you have works, it would just fit onto a different part of the tie.

Dan/Panther

Ben;
O.K. I see now, so I agree they are track connector clips.
Since they are not Marx, I need to get rid of them. I have 50 or more of the Lionel track clips, and about 25 of the other. Do you need any ?
Can anyone else use some ?
D/P