News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is the Correct Dial for a Western Electric B1 102?

Started by Doug Rose, February 23, 2011, 01:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

For years I thought it was common knowledge that a #2 or a #4 dial was a correct dial choice for a B1. I was also under the impression that a B1s production ended in the late months of 1929 and the D1 202 was born. Recently I acquired a Perfect specimen of a WE B1 (see link below). Everything is dated 3/30 from the cords to the base to the 2HB dial. 3/30..... March 1930. If a #2 dial was on a B1 at the tail end of production, is it safe to assume that all B1's with dial came with a #2 dial and a #4 was a replacement? Just a question that has been nagging at me for a while. Your thoughts?....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4281.msg55325#msg55325
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Doug:

Here is what I think I know.

The 2H dial is the dial the B1 base was designed for. 

The D base had to take a #4 dial, and could not take a #2, by virtue of the finger stop being mounted on the outer edge of the #2, and the D mount having the recessed dial mount, and apparently being designed just of the #4 dial.

I am sure many, many B mounts had field replacement dials that were #4 dials, and I have no idea whether later B mounts had #4 dials as a stock dial or not.  The B mounts were not in production very long, and were quicky replaced by the D mount due to the B base being too narrow for dialing without holding onto the phone.

Many original #4 dials were converted from refurbished #2 dials.

I am responding from work, so I don't have Larry Wolff's book available, but he may have more information in the book.  I know he dedicates a lot of space to the dial evolution and the B1/D1 base evolution.

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 23, 2011, 01:25:36 PM
The D base had to take a #4 dial, and could not take a #2, by virtue of the finger stop being mounted on the outer edge of the #2, and the D mount having the recessed dial mount, and apparently being designed just of the #4 dial.

Almost a decade ago now, this conversation came up at a phone show and we were determined to demonstrate that a #2 dial COULD be installed in a D mount.  Here's the result...
   http://www.paul-f.com/we2dials.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Good one.  I guess anything is possible, given the right tools and a good imagination.  It certainly works from a functional standpoint.  :)

-Bill G