News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. Type 21

Started by BDM, May 04, 2014, 12:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Ok gents. I plan obtaining an AE 'stick in the future, maybe near future. I see the model 21 series can be had in a metal or Bakelite base, is this correct? For now I want to stay with the more modern AE dial sticks or the last model/s manufactured. What should I look for or watch out for? Thanks in advance.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

"stub" sent me a few links to AE catalogs that answers much. Thanks "stub". Guys besides any obvious defects, are there things I should look out for on these phones or ask questions on that may not be obvious? Appreciate any input. I know the W.E. products well and what to look out for, not so much the A.E. products (exception the AE40. I know them well and many of their faults). I also see what are 2 versions, one has the dial mounted flush to the base, but exposed while the other has the dial mounted into a recess of the base. Similar to the way a dial mounts in a W.E. B1 vs D1, thanks.

p.s. I believe I now know. The recessed dial is a bakelite base while the exposed version is the steel/bronze base.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

I do not know much about AE candlesticks, can you post those links?
Thanks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Some were intended to be used on PAXs (Private Automatic Exchanges) that did not connect to the public network. These have fewer contact springs on the hookswitch and if I recall correctly DC receivers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Well I finally purchased one. A later model AE Type 21, metal housing, external (not flush) mounted dial. I believe the flush mounted dial 'sticks were Bakelite. Being I'm a W.E. candlestick nut, it will be nice to take a walk on the "Dark Side"  :o ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AE_Collector

Yes the Bakelite bases are the ones with a recess for the dial where as the metal (brass or bronze?) have the dial surface mounted. The same goes for the very similar AE 1A cradle sets. Most are Bakelite bases but there are some with metal bases. I am not sure what came first with the cradle sets or type 21 sticks but presume the metal bases are older and the Bakelite bases newer improvements. AE was heading towards Bakelite for all of its "newer" sets then, the 2, 34, 35, 40 & 50.

Terry

poplar1

1=1925
1A=1929

if I recall correctly.
Also, metal 21s have cut out for finger stop of a #23 dial, Bakelite 21s and 1As do not.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

1A - 1926 Corrected to 1925/26
2 - 1928 Corrected to 1925/26
34/35 - 1934/1935 ish
40/50 - 1938/1939/ ish

Terry

BDM

It arrived today. Looks like she'll polish up nice. I need to correct some things, disassemble clean and tighten this and adjust that :) This is my first A.E. 'stick and solid back transmitter. Think I'll post a few internal pics, as pics for the "dark side" 'sticks seem long in coming.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Ok, so here are a few pics. Not the greatest pics, so I'll add explanation where I can. First the stick seems complete. Dial was extremely sticky and hard to turn, and hardly any return. So it was completely disassembled, scrubbed/cleaned, very lightly oiled and re-assembled. Works beautifully now and has that nice clackety sound when winding up, and very silent winding down. Whomever owned this long ago, was a smoker. The dial was smoke grungy. Also the dial parameter had a build up of smoke grunge. I could tell it was very old smoke film. After restoring radios for 20+years, I can definitely tell the difference from recent vs very old. Plus the inside of the spit-cup was very smoke filmed. My rag was a nice yellow from cleaning /scrubbing the inside out. I can only imaging, some old press room in a small town 1930s. Reporter is smoking away while talking and spitting into that transmitter :) Also keep in mind, I'll rub and re-rub and rub again the original finish and even on rare occasions touch it up every so slightly. I rarely will paint a metal phone and I tend to walk away from sets that need re-finishing. Just a personal preference of mine. I'll try hard to save the original finish or make it look presentable if at all possible. I've only painted 3 phones ever in all my collecting years.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Dial disassembly: One thing I noticed after reassembling the dial and checking operation. It would make a clunk noise every time a pulse occurred when dialed. It was strange and obvious. I thought "what did I do wrong?". Had me stumped for a second or two. I removed the pulse cam and the noise (and feel) of this clunk were gone. Pulse cam looked ok and I compared it with another I have laying around. This pulse cam had much more abrupt edges on the cam lobe, so I figured maybe the cam was causing the contacts to slightly "bounce" when pulsing. So I used about 1800 grit sp and rubbed down the lobes to match the other cam I had. Bingo, noise and clunk were gone. Nice smooth operation. I can only imaging it was there the entire life of this dial, and no one complained about it. So she operates nice and smoothly now. I just need to get a few extra AE number card covers. I'm all out ???

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Some after pics now. They do not do it justice. While the paint on the base is not perfect, it looks much nicer than when I first received it. The transmitter is nice and clean on the inside. The receiver really polished up nicely and is complete. The receiver cord is AE marked. All in all, a nice 'stick to add to the collection. I also added the round rubber base gasket. Though I see these came both ways. With the rubber gasket or cloth covered. Not sure which I like better. The gasket makes it look like it has a fat butt but very stable (no sliding at all). The cloth is more nostalgic. Not sure, I may change it. Now to start on some of the more expensive and harder to fine 'sticks  ;)

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

stub

Brian,
           NICE!!!!!!!!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield