News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newest Diamond in the Rough.

Started by Dan/Panther, December 10, 2008, 08:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

My latest Ebay aquisition, comes a little rough, but a diamond never the less.
W.E. 202 D-1, with the 4H dial, marked inside III-37.
The dial face is peeling off as if it were a insert, did they have those type faces back in 37, I thought that was a fairly new idea?
$36.00 from Ebay.
One problem that I see is that the Receiver cap is very tight, and looks like maybe cross threaded.
Any ideas how to free it up ? I've tried the usual suspects but it's tight.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan,

You'll be surprised at how nice that paint will gloss up with some polish.  Is the cap that is stuck a plastic cap?  Those always are difficult to get off.  Unlike the E-1 caps that need a strap wrench, I've had very good luck with the hair dryer technique.  Did you try that?  Heat it up nice and warm.

They did make a celluloid dial face.  I have one on an old D1 that is painted ivory.  It is a bit wrinkled but it is original.  It's on a #4J dial.

That is a real good price.  Again, it is a reflection of the economy.  Even though the paint may not be perfect, it will clean up nice and with a couple of cords that will be a great phone.  Especially with that #4 dial.  As you know those have been selling in the $50-75 range too---just for the dial.  Nice buy.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
It's an F-1 handset with bakelite caps. It's obviously cross threaded, at least one thread off.
Both parts are excellent condition, I certainly don't want any damage because of a dumb screwup, on my part.
I think I'll try a pipe wrench.

D/P

Dan/Panther

I was able to get it off using the following method.
I wrapped the cap with double faced padded tape. Then I got out my kitchen jar lid remover. It came off easily.
See picture below.

D/P

Sargeguy

I love those D1s.  Do you have any pics of the dial?  Is it a transitional (former #2) dial?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Dan, that looks like a great tool for cap removal.  Although I did like your pipe wrench idea.  Stick one end in the vice, clamp it down tight and use the pipe wrench on the other side.  :)

Dan/Panther

Before I got it off with the rubber jar lid remover, boy did I get a nasty dime size blister on the palm of my hand.

Sargeguy;
It's marked 4H, and III-37, I don't know if that translates from #2 or not, but it has the loudest clickity clack I've ever heard.

Inside of the phone looks like new, screws are not even dull, I mean shinny bright brass.
BTW, the blister had nothing to do with getting the cap off, I was just so excited about my new phone....................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)

Sargeguy

That is nice!  If I had been paying attention it would've gone for more than that!!!  I ask about the dial because the 4H I have, from a 202 with the exact same date as yours, was a conversion.  You can tell by the welded rivet hole next t on the fingerwheel .  Here is a pic:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

#4H mechanically, is basically a #2 dial with a recessed finger stop. There are a few other slight differences, such as an added leaf depending on which version, etc. etc. At least you didn't end up with a #5 dial. Should be interesting to see how your restoration comes along on this one.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Sargeguy;
Heres a photo of the dial face. Notice the flaking Celluloid.
Ironically Phoneworks shows my dialface, in their cover photo, but not in inventory ?
D/P

bingster

Oldphoneworks doesn't have 'em, and I seriously doubt you'll find a good celluloid replacement anywhere.  Even in the 1930s, it quickly became clear they were prone to wear.  Your best bet is to use a standard enameled plate with the same letter/number configuration, and put the celluloid plate away for safekeeping.  A standard replacement will make a dramatic improvement to the looks of the phone.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I've looked around, I can't find a standard replacement with the same configuration. Any suggestions ?
D/P

Dennis Markham

Since the celluloid dial plate is on topic here I thought I'd display the one I have.  This D1 was a factory repaint in ivory.  The D1 base, the 4J dial and the E1 handset are dated II 37.  The cords are original too.  The celluloid dial plate is bubbled in a couple of places.  I was told by the seller to never, never even touch those celluloid covers with water as they will disintegrate completely.  The finger wheel is stainless steel as is the dial ring retainer.  The E1 has a bullet transmitter.  I've never cleaned the phone.  I figure it's best just left alone.

McHeath

QuoteI was able to get it off using the following method.
I wrapped the cap with double faced padded tape. Then I got out my kitchen jar lid remover. It came off easily.

Now that's pretty clever. 

This looks to be a nice buy at a good price.  Seems that we are all out there on e-bay driving up the prices as we bid against one another eh?  This is clearly a buyers market for just about anything it seems, the house across the street went for 287k three years ago, they lost it and it's now on the market for 117k. 

Now if only I can find that elusive 49' model 500 at a yard sale so all you hawks can't swoop in and buy it before I do.   ;)

Dan/Panther

With all of the different replacement dial face inserts available, would someone please explain the logic behind not having a replacement for the one dial face that would seem destined for a overlay replacement. ?????????
A nice clear plastic overlay would be almost undetectable as a replacemnet ?
Does anyone happen to have a high rsolution one to one scan of the dial face needed. it doesn't have to be  the celluloid one, but one with the same alphanumeric configuration, of Z/Operator. You can get inkjet water decal kits, this screams for that.
A nice freshly painted white backplate, then the clear colored decal over it.

D/P