Find of the Month - June 2013

Started by AE_Collector, June 06, 2013, 03:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - June 2013

DavePEI's pair of chrome NECo 233 3-slot Payphones $150 delivered
4 (15.4%)
Zaphod01's 1952 TA236/FT Signal Corps phone $5 on eBay
7 (26.9%)
WesternElectricBen's haul from Lancaster 16 or more phones for close enough to free
14 (53.8%)
LM Ericsson's Rd Soft Plastic WE500 with fat gray coil cord $55.
8 (30.8%)
Southernphoneman's ITT 500 for $5
2 (7.7%)
Gilas' Mediterranean Blue with Gray cord off Ebay for $33.33
20 (76.9%)
Sargeguy's Western Electric 20-AP $39.99
6 (23.1%)
Tptech302's Magicall Dialler for $26 plus shipping on ebay
3 (11.5%)
JohnS' Stromberg Carlson top box
4 (15.4%)
Babybearjs' 302 Dictograph (?) set
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for June 2013 here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Terry

DavePEI

A pair of Chrome NE233s received this week. One, an NE233H (right) was missing interior components, and I have re-wired it to give to my son as a home phone - the other, an NE-233 QA (left) is 100% complete, and will be used with the museum's payphone controller. The dial card on the NE233H has been replaced and the instruction card straightened since this photo was taken. A dial overlay has been ordered and installed on the NE-233H. These were both from on-island resulting in no shipping charges, and were delivered to the door.

I had a spare lower lock and keys for the NE233QA, now installed, and a spare upper lock key has been received for the other.  I didn't want to give away my only spare key!

For the vault door on the other one, I took an old lock from a single slot, and "broke" it so it would operate using a screwdriver:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9602.0

The one on the left is now operating on the museum's multi-payphone controller and I have given the NE-233H to my son..

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

baldopeacock

That dial number ring (the outer one) on the phone on the right looks Oxford Gray 500, doesn't it?

Was that common on the NE payphones, or has that been installed by a previous owner?   

DavePEI

Quote from: baldopeacock on June 06, 2013, 10:32:20 AM
That dial number ring (the outer one) on the phone on the right looks Oxford Gray 500, doesn't it?

Was that common on the NE payphones, or has that been installed by a previous owner?  
To be honest, I really don't know. My other 233 is black and has a black ring. I am wondering if perhaps this color was used on later Chrome NE phones, but can't say for sure... Yes, it really looks good on the 233QA. The 233H was made in 1963 - the 233QA is a late one - 1972.

On the 233H, it was originally a beige surround, and it was painted to give you what you see, but much of that paint is flaking off - so, when I do it, I am going to take off their black paint, scratch up the old surround, paint the whole surround with gloss black, then apply the dial overlay. Yes, I wish I had a gray one to put on it, as the other one looks absolutely wonderful!

Love all that chrome!

I paid $150 total for both, Terry. Delivered to the door!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

zaphod01

I nominate my all matching dates 1952 TA236/FT Signal Corps phone. Paid $5 on eBay.

www.ebay.com/itm/190832741292

I've never seen a TA236 dated this early. It must have been one of the first. I have TP-6-A's dated 1952.

It was filthy and the dialer was sticking. It received a $6.00 spa treatment in Arizona from Navy Salvage. With shipping and the dial cleaning and calibration, I've got about $30 in it. I will be recoiling the handset cord and adding a Signal Corps dial card.

Robert

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

zaphod01

More pics...

Mr. Bones

Robert,

Cool find, on what may well be a very early TA236/FT! 8) If you have original, or scanned / copied art for a Signal Corps dial card, please, by all means, would you be so kind as to share with us?

Thanks, in advance!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

zaphod01

I have a government issued dial card in a TP-6 but I haven't figured out how to get the dial card retainer loose. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. It looks like an AE dialer. I'm stumped.

I scanned in a Signal Corps emblem and I will post one or both when I get the phone finished.

Robert

poplar1

Quote from: zaphod01 on June 08, 2013, 05:10:57 PM
I have a government issued dial card in a TP-6 but I haven't figured out how to get the dial card retainer loose. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. It looks like an AE dialer. I'm stumped.

I scanned in a Signal Corps emblem and I will post one or both when I get the phone finished.

Robert

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/1921-miscellaneous-metaldials-tl

EDIT: Sorry, this is for an Automatic Electric, not a Western Electric
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zaphod01

Got the official Signal Corps orange dial card off of the TP-6. I'll try to get it scanned today.

Recoiling result was fantastic! I was strapping the cord to the dowel and explaining to my wife that I was going to leave it in the car for a day. She suggested putting it in the clothes dryer, using a platform accessories she had. It fits in the dryer and acts as a bridge. The drums rotates and whatever is on the platform remains still. I think she said it was for sweaters. Did 180 minutes on high, 12 hours in the freezer, and 6 hours in the refrigerator. Handset cord now looks brand new!

Robert

WesternElectricBen

I would brag about the phones I got at lancaster, but I don't want too... Its something about karma that kinda makes it a uneasy thing to do... I acquired 16 phones though I only paid for 3, but like I said that would be unfair to post this as the rest was gracily given to me. And I only bought three, the cinderella, black keyset, and 10 button trimline.. Oh wait, also given a shoe box ksu from a collector friend of mine and a computer from a switcher by the name of xhausted110 on the forum.

Should I explain one of the phones I got was a 1955 rose beig phone, red 565hd, 1963 moss green 500, 1962 beige 500, 1954 manual set 95a dial blank and a  500T? Aswell as a north 153 and two AE 80's one black and one pink.. And that really shiny North Electric from 1961. They were given to me from three of the nicest people I have ever met...

Though here is a pic of the trunk after the show was over... The shipping was 114 usd. from PA to MN
Ben

WesternElectricBen

I guess, the find of the month for me was the feeling... Now, I will stop with the misty eyes...

Oh, yes, and that box has a NOS 2510 which I got for I think 15.. Its in moss green I really like it.

HarrySmith

Nice haul Ben ;D

I saw a picture of you this morning! Looking through some photos on the TCI website I sa a young guy with some cable in his hand looking at that rain slicker that is now in your trunk :)

http://events.telephonecollectors.info/2013/Lancaster/DSC_7371.htm
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 10, 2013, 02:58:39 PM
Nice haul Ben ;D

I saw a picture of you this morning! Looking through some photos on the TCI website I sa a young guy with some cable in his hand looking at that rain slicker that is now in your trunk :)

http://events.telephonecollectors.info/2013/Lancaster/DSC_7371.htm

Yea, I'm pretty proud of that... I'm thinking of wearing that when I go ice skating in the winter....

xhausted110

nice meeting you Ben! hope you have fun making that computer into a nice asterisk box!
- Evan