News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just what IS this thing inside my A/B 554 Wall Phone?

Started by Rotorman, September 04, 2017, 04:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotorman

Most curious about that circular thing just to the left of the 425B network in my A/B 554 wall phone.  It has 2 blue wires seen in photo, and I measure 57 Ohms across them.  Too small to see in pic, but it says Bell System Western Electric on its cap.   I have no idea where the 2 wires should go on the network.  Phone presently gets a good dial tone, but does not ring.  If I know the other party is presently calling, I can pick up the handset and converse clearly.  I suspect it's something simple, but any clues on the blue wire device or non-ring issue appreciated. 

TelePlay

What is embossed on the end of the tube, around the brass screw?

Rotorman

It says Bell System Western Electric  Not for Sale on the round cap.  I see no other markings on it.  Reading over the "Bell Does Not Ring" corrective measures in Table A of the 554 BSP, they mention a capacitor possibly needed across A & K terminals, but I get 57 Ohms resistance from the blue wires, possibly ruling out a capacitor unless it's gone south.   

Jim Stettler

When I Google "western electric telephone buzzer" the only photo that comes up is of one of those.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

That is a 10 Volt AC buzzer, the same type used in multi-line sets. It is not original to the set, and will not work on standard ringing voltage (90 Volts AC)....the 554 is wired the same as a 500, with the ringer connected as follows:
         Red to L2
         Black to L1
         Slate to K
         Slate-Red to A

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Rotorman

So what would be the purpose of a Western Electric buzzer inside the phone? 

paul-f

Low voltage buzzers were commonly used as signals on intercom lines in 1A2 or PBX-based systems.

Single line phones could be hooked up directly or with the use of a multi-line key, as shown with the 2554 below.

A simpler intercom signaling system could be built with simple pushbuttons.

Wiring examples can be found in the BSPs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AL_as_needed

That's an interesting little extra. I like finding those little clues to a phone's previous life.  Rotarman; do you have any idea of the history of that phone?
TWinbrook7

dsk

The buzzer with with blue wires was made in several versions, Ericsson used some in smaller phones, those had pretty high DC resistance of at leas 3 k ohms.  And yes, I have seen them for 10-15V (as someone mentioned) to used in European intercoms.

dsk

Rotorman

Phone History?  A simple Gsale find.  Had sat for years before finding a round toit.  BTW....ringer never did come alive, and luckily I had a spare ringer I cannabalized from another similar but thoroughly beat up phone.  Phone now works well.   

Babybearjs

save the buzzer, these come in real handy for alot of things....like a doorbell for example. My back door bell stopped working for awhile and I used one of these in place of it while I trouble shot the circuit....
John