News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Numeric vs. "Metropoliatan" dial plates

Started by Sargeguy, January 19, 2009, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

What is the difference?  In purpose I mean, not in appearance.  I assume the alphanumeric/"Metropolitan" dials where for general use in most homes and businesses.  Why then were the numeric dials necessary?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

In rural areas they didn't have many subscribers, so there weren't very many numbers in use in those areas.  That means the numbers were only 2, 3, or 4 digits.  For that reason, the extra exchange letters weren't necessary to divide up the local areas.   Since people didn't have to dial exchange letters, there was no real need for them on the dial. 

If a person needed to call outside their area to a metropolitan area, they'd have to go through a long distance operator to place that call, even if they were on dial service, so they still wouldn't need the letters on the dial.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Thanks!  So a numeric dial plate is probably not correct for my house in the big city.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Perry

It's maybe not authentic in an urban setting, but I like the rural-style dials. I have a couple of phones with that style, and the numbers are larger and more legible (black rather than red). For modern use, the letters aren't very useful, anyway, as the exchange names aren't in common use anymore.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Perry on January 19, 2009, 04:37:33 PM
It's maybe not authentic in an urban setting, but I like the rural-style dials. I have a couple of phones with that style, and the numbers are larger and more legible (black rather than red). For modern use, the letters aren't very useful, anyway, as the exchange names aren't in common use anymore.

really?? uhmmm, so that is the difference

benhutcherson

For modern use, the letters aren't very useful, anyway, as the exchange names aren't in common use anymore.

There are still a lot of businesses, at least around here, that advertise their phone number as a word. So, in that sense, the letters are still useful.

Perry

Yes, some businesses do that, although they often also provide a numeric translation. Even on a phone with letters, I have a more difficult time with letters (like "1-800-PICK-UPS").

Even weirder-looking are dials like this one, with only a few of the letters:
http://www.oldphoneworks.com/restored-notchless-dial-plate-party-line.html

mienaichizu

Quote from: benhutcherson on January 19, 2009, 09:13:07 PM
For modern use, the letters aren't very useful, anyway, as the exchange names aren't in common use anymore.

There are still a lot of businesses, at least around here, that advertise their phone number as a word. So, in that sense, the letters are still useful.

Yah, some fastfood establishments here use that like Mc Donalds 8-MCDO (8-6236)