News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

stromberg-Carlson 1575 spotted on eBay

Started by Babybearjs, February 06, 2018, 03:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I saw one of these on ebay and thought to myself, what an ugly phone. I'm not a big fan of S-C... the newer sets were made with terminal strips that broke when trying to make changes and had the terminals numbered instead of marked to bell standards... used a AE clone dial and was just a poorly designed phone.... what do you all think? would you want one of these on your desk?
John

rdelius

I rewired several of these for my 1a2 key system  ..dk Grey,white and green.Put wall claws on it .I had to tie grounds insidto make it work

RB

In a glass box, maybe. So it could not bite... ;)

Need I say more.

paul-f

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 06, 2018, 03:35:28 AM
I saw one of these on ebay and thought to myself, what an ugly phone.
<snip> ... what do you all think? would you want one of these on your desk?

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. *

When I was a kid, it was a big event when my parents' phone provider replaced the SC1243 manual set with a SC1543 dial set. I've always enjoyed SC phones (among others, of course). While I prefer the looks of the single line sets, the keyset button treatment scores points for originality and really stands out in a display of other keysets.

My decision would be which one to put on the desk -- color, handset style and dial treatment -- or even how many.

Here's a quick snapshot of a few sets showing the evolution of the external components on the SC1500-series.

* There are few phones I would classify as ugly. Some are just more beautiful or interesting than others.  ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

I have to agree Paul. I think it is a cool looking phone. I don't know about ease of use or repair but still looks very cool!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I like the variations of SC 1543 telephones.  There were many different variations.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

the art deco element is about the only thing that catches my eye... after having some sets and seeing how they were made, I just pass on this brand... I donated my S-C 6 button wall set to the JKL Museum with an extra trim kit... I had a 1500 series deskset and I was amazed that a AE dial would fit it.... wound up donating it... wouldn't sell on Ebay when offered...just another black phone.... and that horse hoof handset.... very different...
John

stopthemachine

I have one of these sets in PINK!  (Can you believe it??)  It even has an original pink bakelite (not tenite) handset!  Truly an impressive phone.  :)

kleenax

Quote from: stopthemachine on July 22, 2018, 08:59:17 PM
I have one of these sets in PINK!  (Can you believe it??)  It even has an original pink bakelite (not tenite) handset!  Truly an impressive phone.  :)
I think that I have one of these cases (just the body) in Yellow, and also in Light Gray. Had one in the "Mocha" color too, but gave it to John Novack.  Still have several of the Light Gray subset boxes/terminal boxes. I use them for their MINT baseplates that are the same as 1543s.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

rdelius

I have the green,white and several dk grey.I wired them with amp connectors for my 1A2 system. The green is converted for wall use with green wall claws

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

MMikeJBenN27

I always thought it was a cool looking phone - the original "cut corner" one, that is.  It always seemed well made to me.